What is open mainframe?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Shruti Yadav
Registered Member

What is open mainframe?

Post by Shruti Yadav »

Hi,

Could anyone know about the "open mainframe"?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: What is open mainframe?

Post by Robert Sample »

Google is your friend. Googling "open mainframe" returns plenty of links, including one to a Wikipedia article which starts off
Open Mainframe Project is a Collaborative Project managed by the Linux Foundation to encourage the use of Linux-based operating systems and open source software on mainframe computers.[1] The project was announced on August 17, 2015 and was driven by IBM, a major supplier of mainframe hardware, as well as 16 other founding members, that included SUSE, CA Technologies, BMC Software, Compuware as well as clients and partners such as RSM Partner, Vicom Infinity, L3C LLP and ADP, and academic institutions such as Marist College and University of Bedfordshire.[2] Coincident with the announcement, IBM also announced a partnership with Canonical to make the Ubuntu operating system available for their high-end z Systems hardware.[3][4][5][6]
Shruti Yadav
Registered Member

Re: What is open mainframe?

Post by Shruti Yadav »

Hi Robert,

I should have said that I already did that. But I could not really understand that how can one become a part of it? All I understood that it is a collaborative Project and encourages to use Linux on mainframes. But if a programmer like me wants to become participant of it, how do we do it?

May be I should ask it on that website but I could not get it. So I thought I might get a direction here. Sorry, if I am doing something wrong.