| on the keyboard in a notepad file it appears | on the screen whereas in mainframe it appears ¦ .

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Sandy
Registered Member

| on the keyboard in a notepad file it appears | on the screen whereas in mainframe it appears ¦ .

Post by Sandy »

When we type | on the keyboard in a notepad file it appears | on the screen whereas in mainframe it appears ¦ . Bow due to this the program is that we are sending a file from mainframe to windows and their load jobs are failing all of sudden with this conversion which I think normal from EBCDIC to ASCII. Can there be some insight for this?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: | on the keyboard in a notepad file it appears | on the screen whereas in mainframe it appears ¦ .

Post by Robert Sample »

What is the hex value for the character on the mainframe?
What is the hex value for the character on the Windows system?
What is the hex value for the character on the Windows system supposed to be?
What is the code page being used on the mainframe (there are at least 2 common ones)?
Sandy
Registered Member

Re: | on the keyboard in a notepad file it appears | on the screen whereas in mainframe it appears ¦ .

Post by Sandy »

Robert Sample wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:16 pmWhat is the hex value for the character on the Windows system?

Code: Select all

|
F
-
¦
A
Robert Sample wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:16 pmWhat is the hex value for the character on the mainframe?
This I don't know how to find? Can you guide?
What is the code page being used on the mainframe (there are at least 2 common ones)?
US Code page.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

This I don't know how to find? Can you guide?
HEX ON in browse, view or edit.
Regards
Nic
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Your responses are completely useless. You need to understand ASCII, EBCDIC, and code pages (just for starters). For example,
US Code page.
means what? EBCDIC has TWO US code pages -- 037 and 1047. Saying "US Code page" means 037? 1047? something else? And
|
F
-
¦
A
does NOT tell us the hexadecimal values for those characters -- those are characters. So you responded, but not with what was asked and hence not with anything meaningful.

Furthermore, your original statement
this conversion which I think normal from EBCDIC to ASCII.
is something I don't think you have any understanding of. Just for one example, when you type left square bracket or right square bracket ([]) in ASCII the characters can be translated to different characters on the mainframe, depending upon whether code page 037 or code page 1047 is being used for the conversion. Both conversions are "normal" but completely different due to the code page.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

and ... do not forget about the code page used by the emulator
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Also, what hex value is the application on the remote system expecting for the vbar? The EBCDIC 037 and EBCDIC 1047 vbar are both X'4F' so the conversion to ASCII (X'7C') probably is going awry.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

Robert Sample wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:46 pm
What is the hex value for the character on the Windows system?
Sandy wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:52 pmCode: Select all

Code: Select all

|
F
-
¦
A
But those values are not ASCII but EBCDIC so not "on Windows system". To find the hex on Windows get yourself a decent editor that will allow you to edit in hex - any SPF look-alike will do as will some better equipped text editors (I cannot actually edit in hex on TextPad but it does have character map displays).
Regards
Nic