Can Connect: Direct mimic SFTP?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Ankit Kumar Gupta
Registered Member

Post by Ankit Kumar Gupta »

Hi,

Actually, we need to transfer a file to another server, which is not running Connect: Direct. Can I send the file using C:D to that server using NDMBATCH?

I looked at the documents and still looking but not sure if this is allowed.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Can Connect: Direct mimic SFTP?

Post by Robert Sample »

Actually, we need to transfer a file to another server, which is not running Connect: Direct. Can I send the file using C:D to that server using NDMBATCH?
Why not try it and see what you get? Either that or contact the vendor for assistance!

And what do you mean by "mimic SFTP"? If you mean "act just like SFTP" then the answer most likely is no. If you mean "securely transfer a data set (file)" then the answer most likely is yes.
Ankit Kumar Gupta
Registered Member

Post by Ankit Kumar Gupta »

I am trying that and have asked the client for the test server details. But will it require to have Connect: Direct on the windows side too?

Yes I meant "securely transfer a data set". I thought I was making it more clear.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

why not look at the Connect Direct manuals to understand its capabilities?
that should give You enough hints hint about the differences between C.D. and sftp/ftp
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

No, "mimic SFTP" does not mean "do secure transfers like SFTP"! It could mean "use the same commands as SFTP", for example.

I Googled connect:direct and found https://www.ibm.com/us-en/marketplace/h ... e-transfer which states
IBM Connect:Direct

Provides Managed File Transfer where high-volume, security, and reliablity are required at scale.
so I'm not completely sure why you felt the need to ask on this forum when Google tells you the answer so easily. And from https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... ut_CD.html there is (emphasis added by me):
Platforms

Typically, Sterling Connect:Direct is installed on a mainframe, UNIX, or Microsoft Windows server at a central processing site and is used to communicate with other Sterling Connect:Direct sites in the business's network.