A question on Connect:Direct.

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Pradeep Kumar
Registered Member

A question on Connect:Direct.

Post by Pradeep Kumar »

Hi,

We used to have some reports sent to a printer. Now this printer is going away and the business want us to move the files to a path. They use Fusion to send the files to that new path. We also have Connect:Direct and I'm thinking if we can use Connect:Direct for this. Unfortunately, at offshore no one has worked on Connect:direct. I have did some research and my understanding is that we can use Connect:Direct for secure transfer for the files. But does the receiving system also has to have the COnnect:direct running? Or can we just send the files?

I have one more question, we can also send files using SFTP then will Connect:Direct have advantage over SFTP?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: A question on Connect:Direct.

Post by Robert Sample »

From https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... ut_CD.html there is
Platforms

Typically, Sterling Connect:Direct is installed on a mainframe, UNIX, or Microsoft Windows server at a central processing site and is used to communicate with other Sterling Connect:Direct sites in the business's network.
So the receiving system needs Connect:Direct running as well.

Connect:Direct supports automation through scripting, scheduling, and watch directories. While you can do similar things with SFTP (using cron for example), I'm sure there is extra work involved. On the other hand, there is a cost for the Connect:Direct product. Which you use will most likely depend upon your organization and what it is available already.
Pradeep Kumar
Registered Member

Re: A question on Connect:Direct.

Post by Pradeep Kumar »

Thanks Robert.

We have C:D installed on our mainframes but I am not sure if it is installed on the windows server, where we want to send the files. I have been trying to find it but they are business users and do not if C:D is running on the server.