Why all files in some folder can become uneditble in UdList?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
demecarv
Registered Member

Why all files in some folder can become uneditble in UdList?

Post by demecarv »

I was editing certain jython file several times and suddenly, I can't edit anymore the file. If I type "b" on left side of such file in UdList the file will be openned and show me the file exactly as I left. On other hands, since last Friday, if I type "ea" I can't edit anymore the file. It is really strange for me. I added two printscreen: EditEntryPanel.png shows the edition options and Unreadable_Characters.png shows what happen when I try "ea" (edit/ASCII mode). I have no idea what I have to check to see if either I have done something wrong or someone has changed something in my profile which could impact on it. Is there some edit option which I could check or is there some edition permission for my Unix user ID which I should check? Additionally, I noted that all files in such folder is behaving that way: "b" works but "ea" shows not readable characters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Why all files in some folder can become uneditble in UdList?

Post by Robert Sample »

If the browse works, then the file is EBCDIC. And if the file is EBCDIC, editing it in ASCII will display non-readable characters. Edit (without using ASCII) will edit the data set in EBCDIC. As to why this happened, someone changed something somewhere -- if the files come from a remote system, something could have been changed there. Someone could have run iconv on all the files. The possibilities are quite large and without access to the site, all we can do on this forum is guess. Contact your site support group for assistance.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Why all files in some folder can become uneditble in UdList?

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

do not post screen images...
they waste dasd space and bandwidth.

a plain TEXT cut and past ( enclosed with the CODE tags ) from Your emulator screen is more than enough

... 4k of text instead of 40 k of bits
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)