Create hyperlink in mainframe.

Time Sharing Option, Interactive System Productivity Facility and REstructured eXtended eXecutor

Moderator: mickeydusaor

LearnMainframe
Registered Member

Create hyperlink in mainframe.

Post by LearnMainframe »

Hi,

Can we create hyperlink in mainframe using COBOL or TSO? Is it possible and can we do it by any chance?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Create hyperlink in mainframe.

Post by Robert Sample »

Is the web page on the mainframe as well? Is the mainframe exposed to the Internet or is this an intranet mainframe?
LearnMainframe
Registered Member

Post by LearnMainframe »

I am not sure if I have all the answers in a very correct form with me but I'll answer you with as much as I know.
Is the web page on the mainframe as well?
No.

But how a web page can be on mainframes?
Is the mainframe exposed to the Internet or is this an intranet mainframe?
I did not understand your question? Can you please help me to understand it so that I can come up with an answer.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

IBM supports HTTP Server on the system z, which allows Unix System Services files to be accessed as web pages from a browser. Hyperlinks and the usual HTML code are all supported. In z/OS 2.2, HTTP Server is no longer available as it is being replaced by Apache on the system z. At a previous company I ran an intranet site with more than a dozen pages, all of them on a system z machine.

Some sites use a firewall to isolate their mainframe IP address(es) from the Internet while other sites allow their mainframe IP addresses to be directly available to the Internet (this is rare but does happen).
LearnMainframe
Registered Member

Post by LearnMainframe »

Robert Sample wrote:IBM supports HTTP Server on the system z, which allows Unix System Services files to be accessed as web pages from a browser. Hyperlinks and the usual HTML code are all supported. In z/OS 2.2, HTTP Server is no longer available as it is being replaced by Apache on the system z. At a previous company I ran an intranet site with more than a dozen pages, all of them on a system z machine.

Some sites use a firewall to isolate their mainframe IP address(es) from the Internet while other sites allow their mainframe IP addresses to be directly available to the Internet (this is rare but does happen).
Thanks.

Are they web-pages? Like the one we have on any website? I would like to know more about this concept, can you please guide me to learn more about it?
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

You need to understand what you are saying - a web page is a page on the World-Wide-WEB that you can view in your browser. Any page viewable in your browser is a potential 'web' page it just depends on whether it is accessible from the internet or not.
Regards
Nic