What is ZOWE?

General DevOps for Mainframes Discussion, Vendor Specific Cloud Computing Tools for mainframes, DevOps Certifications, IDz, Topaz, IBM DBB, Jenkins
Akshya Chopra
Registered Member
Algeria

What is ZOWE?

Post by Akshya Chopra »

Hi,

What is ZOWE? 

I did search for it, but I really don't get it. If someone can explain it to me in simple words and give a guidance on how to get started with it, I'll be very thankful. 

Like this, "Zowe™ is an open source software which provides both an extensible framework, and a set of tools that allow mainframe development and operation teams to securely manage, develop, and automate resources and services on z/OS family mainframes." Is it another emulator to access mainframes?
zum13
Registered Member

Re: What is ZOWE?

Post by zum13 »

Hello.

At it's most basic, ZOWE is an extension for VSCode that puts an IDE in front of the mainframe. Rather than logging on to TSO, you sign in via ZOWE through your PC and use its editor and features rather than those of ISPF. It'll let you work with datasets and job output from the MVS filesystem as well as stuff held in USS. There are other things you can do and other plugins you can add which will extend the functionality.

The base configuration consists of a plugin package for VSCode and the host component which needs to be installed before you can use it. Both are available for no charge.

I think the main aim of it was to enable those more familiar with PC-based development tools to more easily be able to use a mainframe. Personally, since I've used the dumb terminal-based tools for decades and I've never really got on with "intelligent" editors, I prefer to avoid it, but each to their own! It's used in the early stages of IBM's ZXplore courses so if you wanted to try it out without having to try and persuade someone to install the mainframe side software, that's one way of doing it.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What is ZOWE?

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

If someone can explain it to me in simple words and give a guidance on how to get started with it, I'll be very thankful. 

a forum is NOT a training center ( this  same comment applies also to the majority of your other questions )

https://docs.zowe.org/
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)