I started the whole data security area

Meet and greet the other members here and introduce yourself to the world, the way you want -- pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable!
BarrySchrager

I started the whole data security area

Post by BarrySchrager »

I formed the SHARE Security Project in 1972 and we developed requirements for IBM in 1974. These included protection by default and pattern matching to select the "rules" for access. IBM delivered RACF in 1976 which did not have these features and told me they were unachievable.
That caused me to develop a prototype that did support these requirements -- I called it the Access Control Facility. I was working at the University of Illinois and they refused to support making it into a commercial product. Then London LIfe Insurance called and offered to support the development. Scott Krueger, Eb Klemens and I traveled to London Ontario in the middle of the winter of 1978 and developed the commercial version of ACF2. It has been a resounding success and IBM eventually added protection by default and pattern matching to RACF.
It has been a marvelous journey. See www.share-sec.com/history.html for the full story about the beginning of data security.