How to use IBM DBB.

General DevOps for Mainframes Discussion, Vendor Specific Cloud Computing Tools for mainframes, DevOps Certifications, IDz, Topaz, IBM DBB, Jenkins
Richa Chauhan
Registered Member

How to use IBM DBB.

Post by Richa Chauhan »

Hi,

I read about IBM DBB, but I am not sure if I have understood it. Could anyone please explain it in layman language that how it' is used in mainframes and what are its advantages over regular mainframes?

Thanks for any reply in this regard,
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: How to use IBM DBB.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

IBM DBB is short for IBM Dependency Based Build. It's part of IBM DevOps tool-set. DBB is a build system for traditional z/OS applications written in languages such as COBOL and PL/I that allows the analysis of build dependencies between objects. It provides the automation capabilities that can be used on z/OS. IBM call is "an intelligent system".

IBM DBB framework does not require a specific source code manager or automation tool to simplify the process of building code on z/OS based on a modern scripting language. z/OS development teams have the freedom to choose a modern software configuration management (SCM) tool, such as Git, and continuous integration tools, such as Jenkins or GitLab, to build traditional z/OS applications written in COBOL or PL/I.

In simple words, if a given shop has DBB installed then it allows to compile, link-edit the programs using it - IDz can be used as eclipse based editor. One does not require traditional SCMs like Changeman, endeavour or ISPW.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Richa Chauhan
Registered Member

Post by Richa Chauhan »

Thanks Anuj.

But then what's the point of having such a complex tool? If the result is same as we have with any SCM tool?
Richa Chauhan
Registered Member

Post by Richa Chauhan »

May I request the answer again please.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

If the result is same as we have with any SCM tool?
Different source code managers have different feature sets so there are differences between the different SCM. DBB has the advantage of working with COBOL and PL/I, which have been used on mainframes for more than 50 years. Not all SCM tools support COBOL or PL/I.

And these tools tend to be pretty expensive, so a mainframe site will usually select one and mandate its use by all developers.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

In addition to what Robert has said - IBM's Dependency Base Build (DBB) tool is (part of) a source code management solution for IBM Mainframe systems. It provides an end-to-end solution for managing and automating the build, deployment and management of mainframe applications.

With DBB, developers can manage source code, control versioning and maintain a history of changes. It also enables automatic generation of executable code from source files, as well as automatic deployment of the generated code to the appropriate target environments.

Additionally, DBB provides tools for managing the build process, including managing dependencies between components, automating testing, and integrating with other tools such as continuous integration and continuous delivery systems.

Overall, IBM DBB provides a comprehensive solution for source code management and automation of the build and deployment process in IBM Mainframe environments, making it easier for organizations to maintain and update their mainframe applications.

Traditionally Mainframe applications development process made use of a(n) SCM tool. Many vendors provided and provides SCM tools, however, using a tool from a given vendor made a shop bound to that vendor. Using DBB makes it vendor independent - as far as adoption of other tools is considered - like, Git, Gitgub, Gitlab, and so on. If a shop chose to go with devops methodology - using DBB is one of the steps - there are number of steps in between to make a given shop to adopt to devops, however.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Richa Chauhan
Registered Member

Post by Richa Chauhan »

Robert Sample wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:48 pm Different source code managers have different feature sets so there are differences between the different SCM. DBB has the advantage of working with COBOL and PL/I, which have been used on mainframes for more than 50 years. Not all SCM tools support COBOL or PL/I.
So IBM DBB is a SCM tool from IBM?
Richa Chauhan
Registered Member

Post by Richa Chauhan »

Anuj Dhawan wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:03 pmTraditionally Mainframe applications development process made use of a(n) SCM tool. Many vendors provided and provides SCM tools, however, using a tool from a given vendor made a shop bound to that vendor. Using DBB makes it vendor independent - as far as adoption of other tools is considered - like, Git, Gitgub, Gitlab, and so on. If a shop chose to go with devops methodology - using DBB is one of the steps - there are number of steps in between to make a given shop to adopt to devops, however.
So this is really a devops solution?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

I reference Anuj's answer:
IBM's Dependency Base Build (DBB) tool is (part of) a source code management solution for IBM Mainframe systems
And devops is a methodology so it could include DBB -- or it may not.
Richa Chauhan
Registered Member

Post by Richa Chauhan »

Thank you Robert.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Richa Chauhan wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:45 amSo this is really a devops solution?
Yes, it is - It's part of IBM DevOps tool-set.
Thanks,
Anuj

Richa Chauhan
Registered Member

Post by Richa Chauhan »

Hi

Thank you Robert and Anuj. Is there some blog or documentation on this, that can be of help.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

See if this interests you: zlog/ibm-dependency-base-build/
Thanks,
Anuj