Pseudo Conversational in CICS.

All sort of Mainframes Interview Questions.
M Pandey
Registered Member

Pseudo Conversational in CICS.

Post by M Pandey »

Hello All,

In an interview I was recently asked that how do we know that a CICS application program is using Pseudo Conversational technique? Can this be told by just looking at CICS application program code or is there any other way out.

I think I did not answer it rightly, could someone please guide me on this.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Pseudo Conversational in CICS.

Post by Robert Sample »

Yes, it can be determined. Look at what happens when a SEND MAP is done. If the RECEIVE MAP is then executed, the program is conversational. If the program does a RETURN TRANSID() after the SEND MAP, then it is pseudo conversational.
M Pandey
Registered Member

Post by M Pandey »

I answered that if EIBCALEN =0 is coded it's pseudo conversational. Sorry I should have that before but I did not. Is this not a correct answer?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Pseudo conversational transactions are only distantly related to EIBCALEN. Actually, in most cases EIBCALEN will NOT be zero for pseudo conversational transactions. There has to be some way for the program to determine which logic path to take and most times that is done with a switch in DFHCOMMAREA. If EIBCALEN is zero, then the program prepares and sends its first map, then sets a DFHCOMMAREA flag and does the RETURN TRANSID. When the transaction starts the next time, it has a non-zero EIBCALEN and will then use the DFHCOMMAREA flag to proceed to RECEIVE the map (or do other actions, depending upon the program).