CBT Tape files

Hercules, z390, zCOBOL, CBT Tape Files.
Md.Imtiaz
Registered Member

CBT Tape files

Post by Md.Imtiaz »

Hi,

I just read first time about CBT tape files. Are they free to use?

And how would I know which one are the ones which are used by large number of people and companies? is there a guidance to use them? Please advise.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: CBT Tape files

Post by Robert Sample »

Yes, CBT files are free. When you go to http://www.cbttape.org you can download file 1 which lists all 900+ files and their contents. Browsing this list may give you some ideas about what to start with. There is also a list of the top 10 downloads on the website and any of those would certainly be a good place to start.

Be aware that some of the CBT files require system installation by a system programmer, which would limit your use of them. Some sites use them, some sites do not. There are some very helpful files in the list, but some of them have limited utility. After downloading one of the CBT files, you transfer it to a z/OS system in binary (using fixed block 80-byte records) and then do a TSO RECEIVE command on the transfer file name, which will create the data set (or data sets) for the CBT file. After that, the process depends upon the specific CBT file.
Md.Imtiaz
Registered Member

Re: CBT Tape files

Post by Md.Imtiaz »

Thank you Robert for the explanation. I am working with them.