What is a multi-volume dataset?

Virtual Storage Access method - ESDS, KSDS, RRDS & LDS. Basic direct access method, Basic sequential -, Queued sequential -, Basic partitioned -, Indexed sequential -, Object - access method.
zOSHelp
Registered Member

What is a multi-volume dataset?

Post by zOSHelp »

hi,

What is a multi-volume dataset? As a programmer, how can I make a data-set as multivolume? Please guide.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: What is a multi-volume dataset?

Post by Robert Sample »

A multi-volume data set is a data set that resides on more than one volume. The volume may refer to disk volumes or tape volumes. Generally, the application programmer does not have to specify anything to get a multi-volume data set; up to 5 volumes is the usual default for system z. You may look at the JCL Reference manual at the UNIT and VOLUME parameters of the DD statement to find out more.
zOSHelp
Registered Member

Post by zOSHelp »

Thanks Robert. Agree to what you say but if for experiment I want to have a multi volume dataset then can we do that?
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

I want to have a multi volume dataset then can we do that?
By creating a very large dataset or by trying to write your dataset to a disk that has very little space on it. Why would you want to 'experiment'? There is nothing special about a multi-volume dataset - it is just that it cannot all fit onto one volume. This is transparent to you as a programmer, an ops analyst may need to know a bit more.
Regards
Nic