Warning about Dataset migrated/archived.

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Ankita Prakash
Registered Member

Warning about Dataset migrated/archived.

Post by Ankita Prakash »

Hi,

Many a times I have observed that when I do a JEM for a JCL to test the JCL before executing it, I see a message like this:

Code: Select all

CATALOG INDICATES DATA SET MIGRATED/ARCHIVED
I have been told that it's just a warning message and that it is of not much concern. Is there a way I can remove this message? And why does it come?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Warning about Dataset migrated/archived.

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

And why does it come?
because the dataset is MIGRATED/ARCHIVED
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

You can remove the message by making sure every data set referenced in the job (including in any PROCs used) is not migrated / archived. This can take a lot more time than it is worth.

Realistically, the message merely indicates the job scanner cannot identify the attributes of the data set since it is migrated / archived. Since the data set will be restored to disk once the job executes, the message is a VERY minor message and you should, as you have been advised, ignore the message and just submit the job.
RaOne
Registered Member

Post by RaOne »

You can write HRECALL in front of the dataset in ISPF 3.4. This will recall the dataset. This should remove the warning message.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

RaOne, your answer assumes that the person knows which data set(s) is(are) migrated. Since this was NOT stated in the original post, you can't really assume it -- perhaps all that shows up is the message without any indication as to which data set the message refers to.
Ankita Prakash
Registered Member

Post by Ankita Prakash »

Robert Sample wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:38 pmRealistically, the message merely indicates the job scanner cannot identify the attributes of the data set since it is migrated / archived. Since the data set will be restored to disk once the job executes, the message is a VERY minor message and you should, as you have been advised, ignore the message and just submit the job.
Yes but some time the job take too long to recall the dataset and job takes long to execute then.
Ankita Prakash
Registered Member

Post by Ankita Prakash »

RaOne wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:58 pmYou can write HRECALL in front of the dataset in ISPF 3.4. This will recall the dataset. This should remove the warning message.
But we have to make it individually for all the datasets.
RaOne
Registered Member

Post by RaOne »

Robert Sample wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:45 pmRaOne, your answer assumes that the person knows which data set(s) is(are) migrated. Since this was NOT stated in the original post, you can't really assume it -- perhaps all that shows up is the message without any indication as to which data set the message refers to.
Yes you are correct Robert.