Printing specific columns from File-Manager

File-AID from Compuware and File Manager from IBM.
misi01
Registered Member

Printing specific columns from File-Manager

Post by misi01 »

I'm new to FMAN and was asked by a user to print a file (they don't have access to z/OS).

Hopefully, I'll include all the parms I've specified in the first attempt.

I've included 2 screen captures of the settings I assume should be the ones needed. Trouble is, when I press Enter on the 3.2 panel, I'm seeing the results in the 3rd capture.

One additional question - is there a way of getting rid of the rows in the printed output that contain

1IBM File Manager for z/OS
0* * * * Device 350A, 3390, VOLSER=SMS109
* * DSORG PS, RECFM FB, LRECL 165 BLKSIZE 27885

Thanks
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Printing specific columns from File-Manager

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

do not post attachments...
not everybody can see them

a PLAIN TEXT cut and paste from Your 3270 window
surrounded by the CODE tags
is more than enough

furthermore Your colours choice makes the attachment(s) unreadable.
the attachments were deleted
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Situation:
  • 1. I do not have access to IBM File-Manager.
    2. I saw your post and attachments last night, so from memory...
misi01 wrote: Trouble is, when I press Enter on the 3.2 panel, I'm seeing the results in the 3rd capture.
Why is this a problem? I think it's just confirming on the output destination. If you set it in 0,1 already it should not be displayed. But if it still does happen, suggest you spend some time reading on how to instruct the system not show the printing option panel: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... m00222.htm

One additional question - is there a way of getting rid of the rows in the printed output that contain

1IBM File Manager for z/OS
0* * * * Device 350A, 3390, VOLSER=SMS109
* * DSORG PS, RECFM FB, LRECL 165 BLKSIZE 27885
This is because of "Header Page" on 'Print Processing Options panel (option 0.1)', from the fine manual:
Header page

If selected, a header page (a title page with File Manager on it) is included in the print output. If you specified the Output destination as 2 (Terminal), then the header page is not included in the print output, even if you have selected this option.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
misi01
Registered Member

Post by misi01 »

Anuj - thank you.

Header page on option 0.1 is not selected, but I still get the "IBM File Manager for z/OS" headers (plus the 2 extra lines with Device, Volser etc).

As to why it's not chopping the output data on the expected columns (using TABL), I found the following in the FM
Record limits
When data is printed in CHAR or LHEX print format, limits print output
for each record (or OAM object).
Pity I had to find this in the manual rather than the online help which doesn't mention this simple "restriction"

Enrico - as new member to this board, how do I attach a screen capture then (I simply followed the option that allowed me to add attachments)?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Thanks misi01 for posting what has helped you, appreciate that! :good:

For not to print 'header' I have spent around half an hour and I could really fugure it out. The closet I could get is, this link: Adjusting your view to allow for header information. The link does talk about header in description:
When you are using a copybook or template to format your records, there are times when the information in your records is displaced because your copybook or template defines its fields as beginning to the right or left of the actual data in the record. For example, your records may include header information, which is not defined in the copybook record structure, or your copybook may include a definition for some header information which is not in the actual record. (PL/I copybooks are sometimes coded with a 4 byte RDW field that File Manager strips from the record, as it isn't normally considered part of the data.) To map your template to your records without changing the originating copybook, you can specify an offset value, which changes the template's field starting positions to the left or right.
(see the bold part) but it does not show an example to remove the header. Playing with tool and instructions from manuals is what I can suggest at the moment. :(
misi01 wrote: Enrico - as new member to this board, how do I attach a screen capture then
Unless 'am mistaken, Enrico is suggesting you to mouse-select the screen on 3270 emulator, copy and paste here enclosed with

Code: Select all

[/ic] tags.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
misi01
Registered Member

Post by misi01 »

Anuj. Maybe it's something as similar as a misunderstanding about what headers are.

In my case, I'm talking about the actual "boiler plate" leading lines printed by FM. I might not want all the stuff that FM prints, starting with "1IBM File Manager for z/OS " etc etc. I'm not talking about the actual file column headers when using TABL.

As to the append, I'll try and remember next time, but it does seem strange that this forum contains an append button .... but which you're not supposed to use ????
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

misi01 wrote: Anuj. Maybe it's something as similar as a misunderstanding about what headers are.

In my case, I'm talking about the actual "boiler plate" leading lines printed by FM. I might not want all the stuff that FM prints, starting with "1IBM File Manager for z/OS " etc etc. I'm not talking about the actual file column headers when using TABL.
Yeah, quite possible; though I understand your case. I'll again look at it to figure it out.
As to the append, I'll try and remember next time, but it does seem strange that this forum contains an append button .... but which you're not supposed to use ????
Most of the users use this website from the internet secured by firewalls or through their company's intranet where downloading a file might be restricted... that's the rational behind it, usually.
Thanks,
Anuj