CICS and DB2 SMF record read.

How to do Performance analysis and Capacity Planning for a shop. We also talk about Software Cost here.
Hari Om
Registered Member

CICS and DB2 SMF record read.

Post by Hari Om »

Hi,

I have SMF data in SYS1.MAN1 , MAN2 data-sets. I want to collect the CICS statistics and DB2 statistics like for accounting and statistics that means I should collect data for Record type 100 and 101.

Could anybody help me in knowing that how to read the SMF records in this case? I heard that SAScan do this but we're not using SAS here.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: CICS and DB2 SMF record read.

Post by Robert Sample »

Record type 100 and 101 are SMF DB2 records -- 110 and 111 are the CICS data record types. Depending upon what you are looking for, the 102 records for DB2 may also be needed.

Usually, the SYS1.MANx data sets are accumulated into a daily data set that is then copied at midnight into a long-term data set (on disk or tape). Using SYS1.MANx data sets means you cannot expect the same data to be available again, making testing difficult. This is something to discuss with your site support group.

Contact your site support group and see what, if anything, they use for reading SMF records. SAS can read them; a product called MXG (or other products such as PACE KOMAND or MICS) handles a lot of the details for you. Otherwise, reading SMF records can be very challenging as they are encoded to minimize bytes written (and the format for the CICS records, for example, depends upon which release of CICS you are using).

SMF data can be read in COBOL (for example), but the COBOL code required is quite advanced (and at least one Assembler subroutine is needed).
Hari Om
Registered Member

Re: CICS and DB2 SMF record read.

Post by Hari Om »

They have MXG and I'll use that along with SAS.

Thanks Robert.