What SMF record/s are collected for ADABAS?

How to do Performance analysis and Capacity Planning for a shop. We also talk about Software Cost here.
DB2 Guy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
India

What SMF record/s are collected for ADABAS?

Post by DB2 Guy »

Hi,

I'm at a new shop and support team is not very friendly here. I was wondering how can I figure out which SMF records for Natural/ADABAS are being captured?

What are standard SMF records are captured in general, for a Natural/ADABAS shop? Please advise.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: What SMF record/s are collected for ADABAS?

Post by Robert Sample »

Unfortunately, you CANNOT know this without consulting someone at your site. IBM allows third-party vendors to use SMF record types 128 through 255 for their software; most such products allow the specific record type to be customized at the site since any given record type may already have been used by another product. So unless you find out from someone working at your site which SMF record type(s) ADABAS uses, it is not possible for you to proceed. If you have READ access to SYS1.PARMLIB, you can look at the various members and probably find the SMF record type(s) used by ADABAS. And the ADABAS documentation should tell you what data is written to each SMF record type and how to tell them apart.
DB2 Guy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
India

Post by DB2 Guy »

Thanks Robert, appreciate your reply.

And if I need to know if on this shop, the ADABAS / NATURAL is sub-capacity priced - how can I know that?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Pricing would be something the site personnel would have to tell you. There may be a way to determine in the system parameters whether ADABAS / NATURAL is using sub-capacity pricing, but it could also be tied to the LPAR usage, in which case most likely the contract and monthly usage reports would be the only way to determine it.