Performance monitoring tools for mainframes.

How to do Performance analysis and Capacity Planning for a shop. We also talk about Software Cost here.
Suresh Nidhi

Performance monitoring tools for mainframes.

Post by Suresh Nidhi »

Hi,

What are the Performance monitoring tools available in mainframes? It might be a vague question but I am thinking if all of them behave similar. I understand some what about Omegaon but then what are other tools we have. What should I learn to have a career in performance engineering? And also as Capacity Manger in mainframes?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Performance monitoring tools for mainframes.

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

it would be a good thing to start from
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/s ... .html?Open
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Besides OMEGAMON, MAINVIEW (from BMC) is another mainframe monitoring tool; MXI is another one. RMF and SMF data are usually important when talking about performance management and capacity planning for mainframes -- MXG and PACE are used to analyze SMF data for a site. There are a number of Redbooks on performance -- search for workload management or performance to find many of them.

Performance management and capacity planning are related but distinctly different disciplines. Performance management is focused on getting the most out of the site's existing hardware and software. It looks at tuning systems and applications to minimize service disruptions and variability. Performance management can also happen for subsystems such as DB2 or CICS or batch. Capacity planning is more future-focused and looks at the trend of usage over time to project when an upgrade will be needed. Often, figuring out which machine to upgrade to can be the hardest part (the site is currently running so many MSU on a CEC with 4 processors; should the upgrade go to a CEC running fewer, faster processors or keep the same number of processors, or even add processors; zIIP / zAAP processors can complicate the question).
Suresh Nidhi

Post by Suresh Nidhi »

Robert Sample wrote:Besides OMEGAMON, MAINVIEW (from BMC) is another mainframe monitoring tool; MXI is another one. RMF and SMF data are usually important when talking about performance management and capacity planning for mainframes -- MXG and PACE are used to analyze SMF data for a site. There are a number of Redbooks on performance -- search for workload management or performance to find many of them.

Performance management and capacity planning are related but distinctly different disciplines. Performance management is focused on getting the most out of the site's existing hardware and software. It looks at tuning systems and applications to minimize service disruptions and variability. Performance management can also happen for subsystems such as DB2 or CICS or batch. Capacity planning is more future-focused and looks at the trend of usage over time to project when an upgrade will be needed. Often, figuring out which machine to upgrade to can be the hardest part (the site is currently running so many MSU on a CEC with 4 processors; should the upgrade go to a CEC running fewer, faster processors or keep the same number of processors, or even add processors; zIIP / zAAP processors can complicate the question).

Thanks Robert. Great post. I wanted to like it! :)

Thanks for the link enrico-sorichetti.