Buffer Pools and CPU usages.

How to do Performance analysis and Capacity Planning for a shop. We also talk about Software Cost here.
Prasad

Buffer Pools and CPU usages.

Post by Prasad »

For a couple of months I am working on buffer pools with following agenda:

1) They need to be increased in size.
2) Buffer pool parameters (VPSEQT,VDWQT) need to be modified.
3) 1 MB page frame allocation.
4) Segregation of tables according to their access in different pools

Before I can pursue above initiative, it requires few perquisite check about LPAR system memory and DB2 system reports such as Accounting long & Db2 long statistic reports. As per current scenario at this company, it cannot be provided with precision because earlier they used to have OMEGAMON tool to provide all these reports and statistics but now they don't have it.

They agree that buffer pool initiative can be helpful in reducing the overall CPU. Since there is no such tool to monitor buffer pool so they are planning to introduce the same. For that they might need a demo of tool to prove its worth. It would be great if you could provide us some valuable information or links about the buffer pool tool in general. So at least I can zero in same from my side, which will hep them to understand that if they want to have such kind of tool to be configured in the environment.
Prasad

Re: Buffer Pools and CPU usages.

Post by Prasad »

If I simply ask how should I look for the opprotunities which can be used for buffer-pool optimization for an LPAR over all, is there any way you'd suggest please?