Find execution count of a DB2 package or program.

RDBMS from IBM and IBM's Hierarchical DBMS and Transaction Manager (IMS DC).
Binamra
Registered Member

Find execution count of a DB2 package or program.

Post by Binamra »

Hi All,

How to find execution count of a DB2 package or program. Where is it stored so that we can find the number of calling of program.
If someone knows please let me know.

Thanks in Advance.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Find execution count of a DB2 package or program.

Post by Robert Sample »

Where is it stored so that we can find the number of calling of program.
Why do you think it is stored somewhere? What IBM reference material do you have that so indicates?
Binamra
Registered Member

Post by Binamra »

Hi Robert,

That will tell us if a program is executed or not and whether or not a package is needed further.
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami »

To reiterate what Mr. Sample said:
Robert Sample wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:06 pmWhy do you think it is stored somewhere? What IBM reference material do you have that so indicates?
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

For the system as a whole, the execution count is NEVER stored anywhere. At a previous employer, I wrote a small system using COBOL, SAS and the SMF records to count program executions (for batch programs) that stored the counts in a VSAM data set. The reason this was written was because the system does not store execution counts and we needed them for a project.

So I repeat my question -- WHY do you think the system stores execution counts of a DB2 package or program?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

This is a strange question, last execution time of a package has been of interest for some, but I can't find a rational behind it. For a second let's assume you know it, how would you use the information?
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Binamra
Registered Member

Post by Binamra »

My lead has told that if the program is not being used many times we can think to remove the program from the system.
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami »

Obsoleting a program should not be done on the basis of how many times it's been run. Is your lead planning to delete the year-end processing on the theory that it's only been run a few dozen times and is therefore not very useful?
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

And what if there is an important ad-hoc process to be executed only on Holidays - should it be the first the list, per 'The Theory'?
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.