PSB scheduling.

RDBMS from IBM and IBM's Hierarchical DBMS and Transaction Manager (IMS DC).
Vibha
Registered Member

PSB scheduling.

Post by Vibha »

Hi,

I need help to understand the "PSB scheduling". Why it is called as "scheduling" as that's kind of misleading. "Scheduling" sounds like a scheduler kind of an activity but it is not.

Actually, we got ADCA abend in one of the program in prod while the same program worked in test. It was found that test make use of "OPTIMIZE" compiler option while in prod it was "No optimize" and because of that PSB was not scheduled and it failed. We ar estill using an override from test library and it is working in prod but this all does not sound good. Any advice in this regard is helpful.
Vibha
Registered Member

Re: PSB scheduling.

Post by Vibha »

Please share some pointers, I'm not getting what is the meaning of "scheduling"!?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

First, do not prompt for responses -- you're not going to get better or faster responses by asking again, and frequently people who WOULD have answered decide not to based upon your requests. People who respond on this forum are volunteers -- meaning they answer when they have the knowledge, time, and interest to do so. Not getting a response may mean people are busy, or that people don't know the answer, or that people don't have any interest in answering -- and they're not going to drop everything and give you an answer just because you ask again. It is not unusual for it to take hours to days to weeks for a response to show up on this forum. If you cannot wait for the response, convince your management to hire a consultant.

Second, from the Programming for IMS manual (version 13.1.0) on the SCHD command:
Usage

Before you can access DL/I databases from a CICS program, you must notify DL/I that your program will be accessing a database by scheduling a PSB. Do this by issuing the SCHD command. When you no longer plan to use a PSB, or you want to schedule a subsequent PSB (one or more), you must terminate the previous PSB with the TERM command. (For more information on the I/O PCB and PSB, see the topic "PCBs and PSB" in IMS Version 13 Application Programming)
IMS has been around for a LONG time, and the terminology is peculiar to IMS. Accept the term, learn to use it, and don't worry about its derivation or why that particular term is used. It is what it is.
prino
Registered Member

Post by prino »

Vibha wrote:Actually, we got ADCA abend in one of the program in prod while the same program worked in test. It was found that test make use of "OPTIMIZE" compiler option while in prod it was "No optimize" and because of that PSB was not scheduled and it failed.
If this is indeed the case (and I, and probably a few hundred others would vehemently disagree), you urgently need to open a PMR with IBM, as it would indicate a serious problem with the compiler!
Robert AH Prins
robertahprins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some z/OS code here
Vibha
Registered Member

Post by Vibha »

I am new at this place. Just helping the people in charge. The lead programmer for this told us this. So may be his understanding is not correct but that's how it worked. May be he is missed something else to look at but this is what we are told.
Vibha
Registered Member

Post by Vibha »

And an override from QA to PROD is working so it looks like this is what is correct but not sure ..