Table REORG and bind the programs.

RDBMS from IBM and IBM's Hierarchical DBMS and Transaction Manager (IMS DC).
Sharvana Mohan

Table REORG and bind the programs.

Post by Sharvana Mohan »

Hi,

Whenever we do a table REORG, do we need to bind one and all the programs related to table? If no, why it is not needed. While for a program change we always do it.
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Table REORG and bind the programs.

Post by Akatsukami »

Although DB2 is not my area of greatest expertise, I believe that your process would be REORG, RUNSTATS (to establish new access paths to the reorganized data), and (RE)BIND (to allow use of those new access paths).
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
Sharvana Mohan

Post by Sharvana Mohan »

Thanks for the reply but it did not answer the question, whenever we do a table REORG, do we need to bind one and all the programs related to table? Can you please help me with that anwer too?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

whenever we do a table REORG, do we need to bind one and all the programs related to table? Can you please help me with that anwer too?
The short answer is No, DB2 does not mandate that.

The longer answer depends on the mind set of the shop. Two types of thoughts work on REBINDing DB2 plans and packages. In first case, one would recommend to REBIND regularly after running RUNSTATS, which of course you'll do after the REORG. If you don't do it, your programs and applications does not stop working but chances are that without REBIND, static SQLs are failing to get the best out of DB2 sub-system for the best performance.

In the second case, they recommend not to REBIND until it is giving you problems. This way, you will run REORG/RUNSTATS but you will not REBIND your plans and packages until performance is a question.

So you are left with the choice to abide by what your shop's approach is.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Sharvana Mohan

Post by Sharvana Mohan »

Thanks Anuj.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

You're Welcome! :)
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.