IMS DC program is not refreshing the load module in IMS

RDBMS from IBM and IBM's Hierarchical DBMS and Transaction Manager (IMS DC).
kiran.may7

IMS DC program is not refreshing the load module in IMS

Post by kiran.may7 »

Hi,

I have COBOL IMS DC application program ready in IMS region. The MFS, ACB, Transaction and Programs are initialized in IMS region. The transaction got invoked and I could enquire the data on the screen.

Then i had the changes in COBOL IMS DC program. I have compiled the changed Cobol IMS program and the new load module is not getting refreshed into IMS region.
We tried F LLA,REFRESH via console but the load module did not get refreshed.

We do not want to bring the IMS down and Up every time the new load module created.
Is there any IMS control region JCL setting which need to be changed to do Auto refresh when the load module get refreshed?

Please suggest on how to refresh the load module of program into IMS region.

Thanks
Kiran
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: IMS DC program is not refreshing the load module in IMS

Post by nicc »

As per the many answers given where you asked the question previously.
Regards
Nic
kiran.may7

Re: IMS DC program load module is not refreshing in IMS

Post by kiran.may7 »

I have not got the correct answer for this issue in other forum.

Please suggest on this issue. How to refresh the load module of program into IMS region automatically when program get compiled every time.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

How to refresh the load module of program into IMS region automatically when program get compiled every time.
I suspect you want something that is not possible. CICS does not automatically refresh a program when it is recompiled -- the programmer (or someone) MUST issue a NEWCOPY on the program for CICS to pick up the changes. The only way CICS would pick up the changes without a NEWCOPY is if CICS is recycled so it reads the load modules again. Shutting down CICS just to pick up a program change is a bit drastic. I would expect IMS to work the same way -- the programmer must indicate to IMS in some way that a new version of the program exists. I've never used IMS, though, so I am not aware of the mechanism.

LLA REFERSH will only pick up changes to the LINKLIST. And CICS programs (and, presumably, IMS) programs are not placed in the LINKLIST -- CICS uses a DD name to indicate where to find the load modules. So I would expect an LLA REFRESH to have absolutely no impact upon your IMS code.

And posting the same question on a different forum won't get you different or better answers, generally -- the same people who respond on the other forum also respond on this forum.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

kiran.may7 wrote:...the new load module is not getting refreshed into IMS region.
How do you conclude this?

And what test/debugging tool are you using to test the changes in COBOL program? Do you get it there right?
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Russ

Post by Russ »

You have to stop the message regions(MPR). You must then restart the message regions.

Russ