Getting U0102 Abend in IMS while testing the restart.

RDBMS from IBM and IBM's Hierarchical DBMS and Transaction Manager (IMS DC).
Rekha Rane

Getting U0102 Abend in IMS while testing the restart.

Post by Rekha Rane »

Hi all,

I've written a new COBOL-IMS program and I am testing the check poinst restart for this program. I have to force abend the program after XRST call and then the program should run fine after restart. But in restart, am facing U0102 abend while issuing XRST call. Please sahre your suggestions to avoid this.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Getting U0102 Abend in IMS while testing the restart.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

U0102 is a positioning error. That is restart is not able to re-position the control to restart point. Said that, are you using a GSAM file to restart which is created in the very first step of your unit test JCL?
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Rekha Rane

Post by Rekha Rane »

Yes, the first step is IEFBR14 step which creates the GSAM file used in the JCL later?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

With an educated guess - suggest - at the time of restart remove or comment out the IEFBR14 step and it SUBmit the Job, should work for you. However, if you'd show your JCL, I might be sure enough.

Usually, in checkpoint restart GSAMs are used as the "check-point restart database" to tell the system where to start, when it's a restart. Program will read the GSAM to re-position IMS - however, when you start the Job from top again (restart), program 'knows' it's a restart from the restart I-O area, as the flag must have been set for a restart - but re-allocation of GSAM makes it a brand new file. There is nothing to re-position to for IMS, once it read the newly allocated GSAM and so you get U0102.

This is not a very technical explanation, but not every explanation can be technical - but nonetheless, I think it helps you.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Rekha Rane

Post by Rekha Rane »

This has worked, thanks for your help and explanation Anuj!
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Glad that it has worked for you.
Thanks,
Anuj