Quizzes.

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Quizzes.

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi,

As you might be aware that a new and a rather beta version of quizzes is now accessible using the Quiz button above, near FAQ. In order to make this all successful - need a help from you all -- as the quizzes are entered in manually, they might have some errors (though I doubt :D) - and if you spot one (assuming you get time out of your busy schedule to play them), please mention them here - I'll correct them.

Thanks again for your time and co-operation,

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Quizzes.

Post by William Collins » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:15 pm

COBOL Quiz 1 Q 3, answer depends on compiler option TRUNC, so you need to state which it is.

Also, MIPS is nothing to do with COBOL.

William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Q

Post by William Collins » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Quiz 1 doesn't have question numbers. Quiz 2 does.

Quiz 2. Ah. Trying to keep another tab open to fill this in lead to the rather scary "You cannot play this quiz for another 8 minutes as you have violated the time limit on a previous attempt."

Anyway, pointless asking about how to define the computer it runs on. I have never coded that in my life. For Enterprise COBOL V5.1 it is a compile option which best indicates (target for the architecture).

The True/False response doesn't match the wording of the question.

Possibly something else, but it won't let me check :-)

William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by William Collins » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:32 pm

COBOL Quiz 3.

The numbers of the questions are pickled.

Q 3 is not sufficient for a Y/N answer (it is allowed, as long as the range of that PERFORM is entirely within the range of the current PERFORM).

Q 4, you can't have USAGE on an 88 or 66, so No, but you probably wanted the answer Yes.

Q 2, I have no clue what that means :-)

Q 1 is not clearly worded, and the answer (probably, depending...) depends on whether blocking is specified.

Q 5, depends on compiler option ARITH (probably)

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:17 pm

Oh man - this is too much of home work - let me go through them one by one.

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:33 pm

Quiz 1 doesn't have question numbers. Quiz 2 does.
They are numbered now.
Quiz 2. Ah. Trying to keep another tab open to fill this in lead to the rather scary "You cannot play this quiz for another 8 minutes as you have violated the time limit on a previous attempt."
If you again answer them all, the time-limit-message won't appear - however, I'm thinking I should make the time to 5 minutes or less. 10 minutes is too high for this. But as it was first quiz I thought to have more time.

Thanks,
Anuj

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:09 pm

Also, MIPS is nothing to do with COBOL.
Have removed the question related to it and added another one.
COBOL Quiz 1 Q 3, answer depends on compiler option TRUNC, so you need to state which it is.
TRUNC(STD) - if not stated, can that be safely assumed - what do you think?

Thanks,
Anuj

William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by William Collins » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:45 pm

No :-)

I don't have any figures for split of use of TRUNC, but just consider someone in their first job, They will only know the answer for their site, and will be confused if they use BIN.

I can see with a time limit, it is tricky to expect someone to check the manual, or even discover what option they use for TRUNC. You could make the definition COMP-5 in the question, which is unaffected by TRUNC.

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:39 am

pointless asking about how to define the computer it runs on. I have never coded that in my life. For Enterprise COBOL V5.1 it is a compile option which best indicates (target for the architecture).
So you think, it should be removed and I should add some other question?
The True/False response doesn't match the wording of the question.
You're correct - Yes/No should have been better, yeah?

Thanks,
Anuj

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:00 pm

using the browser stop-loading and reload buttons gives ...
You cannot play this quiz for another 10 minutes as you have violated the time limit on a previous attempt.
even without having provided any answers

also IMHO a <submit> without any answer should be detected instead of giving ...
Incorrect: You selected , the correct answer was .....
for all the questions

cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:23 pm

COBOL Quiz 3.

The numbers of the questions are pickled.
Numbered them correctly now. :oops:
Q 3 is not sufficient for a Y/N answer (it is allowed, as long as the range of that PERFORM is entirely within the range of the current PERFORM).
Worded it like this now: 3. The use of PERFORM statement within the range of another PERFORM statement is allowed, as long as the range of that PERFORM is entirely within the range of the current PERFORM.
Q 4, you can't have USAGE on an 88 or 66, so No, but you probably wanted the answer Yes.
Corrected. No is correct answer.
Q 2, I have no clue what that means :-)
I'll get back to you on this.

Q 1 is not clearly worded, and the answer (probably, depending...) depends on whether blocking is specified.
COBOL allow WRITE 'RECORD' AND NOT WRITE FILE - so it's asking if we WRITE an entire file with a single command. But it's not worded correctly.
Q 5, depends on compiler option ARITH (probably)
Worded it as: 5. A numeric literal can have maximum of 18 digits (assuming ARITH(EXTEND) is not used):

Thanks,
Anuj

zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Zodiac: Libra

Post by zprogrammer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:47 pm

Also Make the quiz copy free

zprogrammer

William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by William Collins » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Mmm... now I've got an Ad with a floating image hiding the start of the questions....

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:26 pm

William Collins wrote:Mmm... now I've got an Ad with a floating image hiding the start of the questions....
That confirms that ads are working! :D - Jokes apart, I'd remove it once I reach home (from office) - it' should appear only for guests.

Thanks,
Anuj

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:27 pm

enrico-sorichetti wrote:using the browser stop-loading and reload buttons gives ...
You cannot play this quiz for another 10 minutes as you have violated the time limit on a previous attempt.

also IMHO a <submit> without any answer should be detected instead of giving ...
Incorrect: You selected , the correct answer was .....
for all the questions
Let me work on these - these might take longer time to apply but I'll try my level best.

Thanks,
Anuj

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:28 pm

Pandora-Box wrote:Also Make the quiz copy free
I did not get you? You mean to say that, one should NOT be allowed to copy the contents of the quizzes?
Last edited by Anuj Dhawan on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added NOT :D

Thanks,
Anuj

zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Zodiac: Libra

Post by zprogrammer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Anuj,

I mean to say the quiz should not be to copy.

zprogrammer

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Anuj Dhawan wrote:
William Collins wrote:Mmm... now I've got an Ad with a floating image hiding the start of the questions....
That confirms that ads are working! :D - Jokes apart, I'd remove it once I reach home (from office) - it' should appear only for guests.
William - please check -- the Ad should not appear now, on left.

Thanks,
Anuj

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:27 pm

enrico-sorichetti wrote:using the browser stop-loading and reload buttons gives ...
It should not show that message now. Please check. And if it does, it should not be greater than 60 seconds.

Thanks,
Anuj

William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by William Collins » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:31 pm

Ad is now on the right...

I attempted a quiz, COBOL 1, for the first time. I think you need to check your answer to Q5. Dang thing told me I got it wrong :-)

Return to “Website Team”