Separate Forum for SMF.

Previous topicNext topic

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Separate Forum for SMF.

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm skeptical on this (subject) however these days I'm working with SMF records quite closely though the current work won't go beyond this week-end. However, in the process I learned that to understand SMF is not easy nor there are easy references for them. There are some but some of them are very confusing. I'm not very sure how do we tap this area of the Mainframes' world but I think adding a separate on this would help but I doubt:

1. Will it add something good to the Forum and will there be enough question to field?
2. Will it make the Forum too crowded?

Too many "puzzles" on just the second day of the week...! :shock:

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

DB2 Guy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Separate Forum for SMF.

Post by DB2 Guy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:02 pm

That will be nice but I think it's a tough initiative. Do we have enough members to answer in that area and/or provide the material on that?

zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Zodiac: Libra

Post by zprogrammer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Also do we have enough people to learn about SMF?

zprogrammer

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:30 pm

You both are asking very subjective questions:
Do we have enough members to answer in that area and/or provide the material on that?
If I've to name people - I think Robert and Enrico have good experience with SMF records. Dick and William had been long enough with Mainframes and have helping bent of mind on Forums. There are some more on this site directly from IBM... I've also started working with SMF so if nothing much, I can provide with materials.
Also do we have enough people to learn about SMF?
That's a tough question to be answered by one person. Actually, who wants to learn what - no one can answer. And for mainframes, many of us has already seen many questions on "Future of Mainframe"...so I think, people might just come along, I can't predict it.

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Zodiac: Libra

Post by zprogrammer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:59 pm

That's a tough question to be answered by one person. Actually, who wants to learn what - no one can answer. And for mainframes, many of us has already seen many questions on "Future of Mainframe"...so I think, people might just come along, I can't predict it.
What we could do is atleast expert(s) here who is ready to share information which he gained through years of practice by working it ( Subjected to willingness) so some programmers check them and educate themselves and start pondering on them..

Frankly many non-forum users might not know what is SMF even forum users might not know "Use/Advantage" of SMF

so we need contributors who could share some insight/their experience on willingness

Also I would like to be Like

SMF & Control blocks

zprogrammer

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:29 pm

Actually I thought about this idea as when I started looking at information for SMF (and still looking) - it kept me awake until late night (3:30 a.m.) many days searching for information -- either there is too much of information and one does not understand what to look at or there are IBM documents which are, again, reference materials and all this puts you in state of no-movement... we've SMS and VSAM part of the Forum..where actually we can discuss this though thought to have a separate Forum for thisas I feel that's already crowded enough.

Thanks,
Anuj

Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Robert Sample » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:03 pm

I say to hold off on having an SMF forum. The need exists -- to some degree -- but usually the people working with SMF records are more experienced and probably would not use any forum as their first source of data. SMF processing is usually a part of system programming or the topic fits into one of the existing areas.

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Okay. I'll walk slow on this.

Thanks,
Anuj

Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Website Team”