Topic Author
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Zodiac: Libra

Editing posts

Post by zprogrammer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to have an option to display the reason why user is banned or posts are locked below the the posts?
Last edited by zprogrammer on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Testing

zprogrammer

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Re: Editing posts

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:38 pm

This feature is already there but it's optional.

I've edited my post and you can see the reason.

OTOH, if the OP himself locks the thread while posting it (there is an option to do that) - no reason will be shown and that's correct because no one has edited it to lock it! :)

For banning one (Global Manager/admin) is supposed to enter in "Reason for ban" as shown in screen capture. Though I'll check that if it can be shown publicly or did you mean something else?
Ban System.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anuj Dhawan on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Just to show an example to PB...:).

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

Topic Author
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:12 pm

I dont see the above screen anywhere :S

zprogrammer

Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:52 pm

That screen comes when you ban someone. As of now, that's a feature available to Global Managers and Admins only.

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

Topic Author
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:53 pm

yes yes I already knew that :)

And I got answer for my post and tested it aswell :)

Thanks Ad..

zprogrammer

Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Anuj Dhawan wrote:This feature is already there but it's optional.
I thought to mandate it earlier but if someone edits a post multiple times it might add unnecessary clutter unless it overwrites the previous "Reason" but if that is allowed, that'll beat the purpose.

Thanks,
Anuj

Topic Author
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:24 pm

but if someone edits a post multiple times it might add unnecessary clutter unless it overwrites the previous "Reason" but if that is allowed, that'll beat the purpose.
Is it not possible to make it append?

zprogrammer

Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Do you really like to see all the reasons for edit?

Thanks,
Anuj

dick scherrer
Former Team Member
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by dick scherrer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 pm

Personally, i don't need to see all of the reasons for an edit.

If a moderator/admin edits something and knowing why would be informative, they should be able to post the reason(s), but not necessarily required (imho).

I'm not in favor of "everyone" being able to edit their posts as this may disturb the continuity of the topic. If a user feels strongly that their post needs to be changed, just asking so in the topic would get the desired response . . . again, imho

d

Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:30 pm

dick scherrer wrote:Personally, i don't need to see all of the reasons for an edit.

If a moderator/admin edits something and knowing why would be informative, they should be able to post the reason(s), but not necessarily required (imho).
I too agree for both the points. Though at times, it helps to know the reason but "appending" can be abused...

I'm not in favor of "everyone" being able to edit their posts as this may disturb the continuity of the topic. If a user feels strongly that their post needs to be changed, just asking so in the topic would get the desired response . . . again, imho
Agreed, it also helps to avoid someone later correcting a wrong response.

Thanks,
Anuj

Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:41 am

Pk,

This morning I was thinking about this while I posted something on other board and I realized as a Moderator it's good if you put a reason to edit - that helps the end-user to understand why something written by "him" was edited and they can avoid the same thing in future.

If as a Moderator you find multiple reason to edits - possibly you can tell them all in the single "Reason" separated by comma.

Thanks,
Anuj

Topic Author
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:42 am

Hi Anuj,

Bon jour!!

Ideally we wont be needing multiple edits but in a case when we need. Good to have all reasons for all edit being done.

zprogrammer

Chandan Yadav
Website Team
Website Team

Post by Chandan Yadav » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:22 pm

Anuj Dhawan wrote: This morning I was thinking about this while I posted something on other board and I realized as a Moderator it's good if you put a reason to edit - that helps the end-user to understand why something written by "him" was edited and they can avoid the same thing in future.
Agree with this point

Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Website Team”