Human Spammers.

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Human Spammers.

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Hi,

Looking at some of the recent posts which were deleted by Enrico, John and one by me this morning, I believe there are some human spammers trying to pollute the website. Please keep an eye on the activities, if you suspect someone please post in this topic and I'll get that banned.

I have banned jma235.

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Human Spammers.

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:27 pm

the russian idiot is back...
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2434

BTW, can the global moderators issue bans ?
I remember reaching the ban panel once upon a time, but I forgot to take note of the steps,
is it still possible ?

cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)

Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:16 pm

PhilSedo is definitely a spammer.

"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli

Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:31 am

amr and Ellenwer.

"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli

Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:45 am

MyleneMn.

Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:23 am

HenryCJ

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:40 am

JgsepxPa

can the global moderators issue bans ?
I remember reaching the ban panel once upon a time, but I forgot to take note of the steps,
is it still possible ?

cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:36 pm

enrico-sorichetti wrote: JgsepxPa

can the global moderators issue bans ?
is it still possible ?
Banned him.

If you look at the users profile, click on tab "Statics" and look for "Warn user":
Warn User and Ban.png
3 warnings will ban the user. The ban is for a month. It was created this way (just one month ban, the time can be increased though) to encourage the "real users" to align with Forum etiquette but with the kind of spams we see, we need permanent bans, why even bother about warnings!

I need to look for a single click ban!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:48 pm

I need to look for a single click ban!
well... it was there once upon a time
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=594&p=1994&hilit=banning#p1994

cheers
enrico

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:16 pm

Hi Enrico,

Try now please. Either using the Moderator Control Panel (in between "The team" and "Downloads" links) and then going to the tab "Banning" or go to the profile of the user and click on "Banning" shown adjacent to the user name.

This should allow you to Ban the user.

Thanks,
Anuj

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Thank You Anuj,
I will register with a userid of ban_test to run a few tests

cheers
enrico

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:29 pm

On a second thought, they should not get this far actually. There are two ways to prevent it:
  1. First 5(or any number, you choose) posts of every new user should get moderated, unless they are approved - none of the posts will be visible, publicly. And as such no unnecessary notification will be generated if they append their posts in an existing topic.
  2. Will change the registration process, looks like they have got the answers to the questions, which are asked at the time of registration, from some search engine.

For now - I have changed it (questions/answers) this morning to "Confirmation code". Where the user has to key in the characters after looking at an image shown on the registration page. It has has been claimed that there are auto scripts (read as robots) which can read such images and fill in the registration page details, automatically. So best alternative is, usually, some question/answer - which are not searchable. I'll work out on them this weekend. In case you have some such questions/answers to share, please do share them.

Thanks,
Anuj

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:31 pm

enrico-sorichetti wrote: Thank You Anuj,
I will register with a userid of ban_test to run a few tests
Thanks Enrico for taking the trouble to test it out and taking care about deleting all the posts from them.

Appreciate your time and effort! :yes:

Thanks for your help too, [username|#00AA00|bold|1430]Akatsukami[/username] - appreciate the timely input! :good:

Thanks,
Anuj

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:39 pm

it worked ... ban_test was banned for 30 minutes,
I will wait a while to see if I can login again

I would go for a moderating the initial posts
how many ? that's a good question

I guess that having to wait a few hours to post the next one
might slow the spammers

when a banned user tries to login an explicit reference to banning is displayed

I would prefer a cryptic message about some awkward server/database error
but probably the message is a standard phpBB message, so it cannot be changed

cheers
enrico

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:25 pm

Ban (the action) would not care if it has banned a legitimate user who has behaved as rookie in couple of posts OR someone like the few we saw lately. That's perhaps one of the reasons to keep a meaningful and explicit ban message, so that the user can contact administration for reactivation, in case the behaviour was shown unknowingly. A cryptic message, on the other hand, would not encourage such users, and spammers would not care about a message anyways. Perhaps that's what phpBB Team has thought and you have rightly said [username|#00AA00|bold|177]enrico-sorichetti[/username] it's a message from the software.

Said all that, I find the idea interesting personally and would try to spend some time on it over the weekend.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Thanks,
Anuj

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:37 am

enrico-sorichetti wrote: I would go for a moderating the initial posts
how many ? that's a good question
First 3 posts will come under moderation before they get public. New users can also not send PMs to anyone until first 3 posts are approved.

Thanks,
Anuj

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:45 am

good for me

cheers
enrico

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:39 am

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I think the situation is under control now, however, you never know. I am adding some more questions for the registration process, hopefully that will help.

Some questions, which might need a human key-in effort, are:
  1. What are the first five letters in the name (URL) of this website (Hint: first five letter in zmainframes)?
  2. What is the address of this website?
  3. What are the last 2 words in this question?
  4. What color is a blue apple?
  5. My dog is a spaniel, what breed is he?
  6. What is this forum main content? (Hint: mainframe)
Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Anuj

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:31 pm

the banning process is broken...
tried to ban EdwardEi, but when I look at its profile
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3025
it still appears as a member of the registered users group
and not of the banned users group as for example Ellenhet
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2954

cheers
enrico

Topic Author
Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:53 pm

Once you ban a user as Global Moderator, they are banned to post further. They can't even log in; when they try - a message displays on the screen telling that they are banned for "some reason".

After that, as of now - there are some manual steps involved to move the user under "Banned Group" and showing up the "Banned" as their avatar and rank. Only Admins or Founders can do that. I did not imagine to ban so many users when started this website and so I did not invest time to automate this process. I'll figure out a way to do this and keep you all informed.

I have updated group/rank for EdwardEi.

Thanks,
Anuj

Return to “Website Team”