SOUNDEX function in DB2.

RDBMS from IBM and IBM's Hierarchical DBMS and Transaction Manager (IMS DC).
dipakchandak
Website Team
Website Team

SOUNDEX function in DB2.

Post by dipakchandak »

Hi Anuj,

I could not find where to post questions?

I have a query. I have a string in DB2 column which contains address something like "312 MOUNT MARY ROAD BOXTER LVL JPN". Now I need to pass this db2 column thru a SOUNDEX option to generate a key out of it and compare the similar key generated for some other similar string. Is this possible? How can I use the SOUNDEX function of DB2 to achieve this?

Thanks,
Dipak
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SOUNDEX function in DB2.

Post by zprogrammer »

Hi Dipak,

Welcome to the forum!!

You could post your question in DB2 forum..Some global moderator will re-route there shortly
zprogrammer
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SOUNDEX function in DB2

Post by zprogrammer »

To understand your question : You wanted to find similar strings similar to "312 MOUNT MARY ROAD BOXTER LVL JPN" ?

SOUNDEX could be used in cases where you know how the sounds work but you don't know how exactly to spell it

Code: Select all

SELECT EMPNO, LASTNAME
      FROM DSN910.EMPLOYEE
      WHERE SOUNDEX(LASTNAME) = SOUNDEX('Loucesy');
Output:

000110 LUCCHESSI;
Also check here
zprogrammer
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: SOUNDEX function in DB2.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Hi Dipak,

As Pandora-Box has suggested, I split your topic and moved it to the DB2 part of the Forum.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

We'd need more detailed explanation of what you want. As PB talked about SOUNDEX, below is another example on similar lines:

SELECT FIRSTNAME
FROM   EMPLOYEE
WHERE  SOUNDEX(FIRSTNAME) = SOUNDEX(’Dipak’);
This query would return not only employees with a first name as “Dipak,” but also anything that sounds like Dipak - such as dipak, Deepak. If you want to catch the difference also - look for the DIFFERENCE function related to SOUNDEX. DIFFERENCE returns a value from 0 to 4 where the number represents the difference between the sounds of two strings based on applying the SOUNDEX function to the strings. The higher the value, the closer the two strings are to sounding alike.

Hope this helps but if it does not, please elaborate.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
dipakchandak
Website Team
Website Team

Post by dipakchandak »

Thanks for your explanation. I know how SOUNDEX works. Being new to the group and also in a hurry, I probably could not put my requirement in correct way. Please see below:

I have address field in one of the columns of a DB2 table. I need to compare this address to the address field that I'm getting from a file. The catch here is the address field might have multiple words and I need to get the SOUNDEX for each word seperately. (Ex- SOUNDEX('IMB MAINFRAME GROUP') does not yeild the correct result; instead we need to do SOUNDEX('IBM'), SOUNDEX('MAINFRAME'), SOUNDEX('GROUP') to get the correct soundex for entire string.)

Now, here is what I plan to do:

1. Extract the column from DB2.
2. Get the soundex for each word in the address field? Need help on how to get it for each word within the string.
3. Append the output of soundex (output of step2) to get a key.
4. create the similar key from the file address field.
5. If both keys are matching, I'm good else write it as a different address (or address is changed for a record)

Does this sound ok to you or you suggest a better way to compare the two address fields and report the differences in a file? All this I plan to do with just a JCL/DB2 and without writing a cobol program. What do you suggest?

Thanks again for your quick help on this.

Regards,
Dipak
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer »

The catch here is the address field might have multiple words
Can you explain this with example data in table and file?
zprogrammer
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

pretty ugly approach IMO

in most countries the POSTAL AUTHORITY makes available
the NORMALISED street directory
and most organisations make use of it in order to check and store in the databases the proper addresses

if the application has normalised ( even in a nonstandard way ) the addresses by splitting them in a few fields
then You could apply the SOUNDEX algorithm only to the true name regardless of the number of words

a structured splitting could be
type ( avenue, road , plaza, ... )
name ....
EAST/WEST/NORTH/SOUTH
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
dipakchandak
Website Team
Website Team

Post by dipakchandak »

The catch here is the address field might have multiple words

Can you explain this with example data in table and file?

PB: Table column would have data like below:

123 HANGING GARDEN ROSEWOOD BLVD KT
544 ROSEBERRY STREET XAVIOUR CT
399 CANTT INN PALM STREET DNT

where as the file that comes in daily will have similar data but with littel difference in the spellings like below:

123 HANGIN GRDN ROSEWUD BLVD KT (this sounds matching)
544 ROSECHERRY STREET XAVIOUR CT (this should not be matching as it completely changed the area sound)
399 CANTT INN PALM ST DNT (no idea if STREET and ST will be same phonics)

(everything is brackets above is my assumptions)...My taks is to compare these address and find out if there are differences. I hope it helps.
DB2 Guy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
India

Post by DB2 Guy »

This
dipakchandak wrote:1. Extract the column from DB2.
How do you extract - did you mean that you unload it? If yes, it all becomes very simple. But this statement of your
All this I plan to do with just a JCL/DB2 and without writing a cobol program. What do you suggest?
changes all the game. I don't see a better way than writing a small COBOL program, as you've also mentioned.
Chandan Yadav
Website Team
Website Team

Post by Chandan Yadav »

dipakchandak wrote: All this I plan to do with just a JCL/DB2 and without writing a cobol program. What do you suggest?
I am just wondering how you will do this only with JCL/DB2 and no cobol. You will need to write a program to read file and all other processing?

Also for getting different fieldsof the address field you may use the String function but yes again question still remaining open how you will delimit because for few fields Space might be the valid part

Correct me if I am missing anything here

Reagrds,
Chandan
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Chandan has a valid point - do you intend to load data from file to a DB2 table? If not, how do you "read" it to compare?
Thanks,
Anuj

zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer »

Hi,

Also it is worthy to check the consistency of file with the table and also try to understand how the input file is created. That might help us to look at things from a different perspective
zprogrammer
dipakchandak
Website Team
Website Team

Post by dipakchandak »

Hi, Thanks for your inputs. Do you know how to write FUNCTIONS in DB2 and deploy it in DB2? I need to write a function and implement it in prod. once that is implemented, My ab-Initio team will read the columns extract along with this Function and work on the report creation.

My job: To write a DB2 function which will accept a string input and give the key generated out of SOUNDEX for each word from the string?

Thanks,
Dipak
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer »

Hi Dipak,

It is always better to create a new topic for new queries. Admin or Mr green will create a new thread for this question
zprogrammer
DB2 Guy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
India

Post by DB2 Guy »

I think the latest follow up is in connection with the previous question, in that case, do you think that we should still separate this out from the original thread?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

dipakchandak wrote:Do you know how to write FUNCTIONS in DB2 and deploy it in DB2? I need to write a function and implement it in prod. once that is implemented, My ab-Initio team will read the columns extract along with this Function and work on the report creation.

My job: To write a DB2 function which will accept a string input and give the key generated out of SOUNDEX for each word from the string?
I'm not sure if I've understood the bold text above clearly enough (from the discussions so far) to help you better. A programming approach sounds much better from first time write and maintenance per se.

However, from the first line above, you seem to talk about UDFs (User defined Functions) in DB2, yes?

If yes - what version of DB2 you are using at your shop? There had been changes the way UDFs can be used in recent releases of DB2 and that should be considered.

Also, if you've already looked at - please see the chapter 5 - "User-defined functions (UDF)" in the red-book "DB2 for z/OS Application Programming Topics" here: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246300.pdf

These pdfs also have some good references on UDFs:

http://www.trivadis.com/uploads/tx_caba ... 5EN_01.pdf
http://www.tridug.org/wp-content/upload ... -final.pdf

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Anuj