odd timestamps

If you are a Moderator you can login here.
Previous topicNext topic

Topic Author
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

odd timestamps

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:31 pm

Hello Anuji
something fishy is going on with the timestamp of the last post
see for example
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=861

on the left there is the original post date, but on the right there is today' s date
( everything looks pretty random, it happens also for other topics )

and Yes ... before posting this I cleaned up the browser chache

cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Re: odd timestamps

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi Enrico,

Thanks. Will have to check this. Logged in using my phone and with this interface I'm not able to see the dates as you describe them. Will check this tomorrow morning IST.

Though I've edited some posts to update the "dead links" (links to topics from old domain) but was not expecting timestamp to get updated. Will keep you posted about the progress on this.

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:47 am

Sorry it was me who created the chaos.

I recall that some time back I have added some code changes in the board's software so that if a post is edited it'll be shown as unread post to other users. As I have edited some posts lately to change the dead-link references, I think it has created more confusion than it has helped. I have taken the said changes back for now and any edited post from past would not appear as unread post to other users.

After a thought...

When someone, with editing capability, edits a post - other users will not know about the edit. Unless they (users, whose post(s) is (are) edited) stumble upon on the topic. Chances of this are rare though.

This is the reason I thought to add such a functionality here.

Unless, a reader takes the pain to go through the past posts of his again, he will never know if his post was edited by someone (may be for some good reason). Though we might not see too many edits here, as of now, but as we grow - there is a good possibility of more edits. Do you think this can be a good business-case to get the functionality back? Please advise.

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by William Collins » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Perhaps as an option when making the edit? Fixing minor grammar/spelling/typos is of no direct interest for anyone to look again (just neater for future viewers) but it would be good if a more substantial change could, optionally, be seen.

Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:07 pm

That make sense William. Will keep this topic updated about the progress.

As of now, it's BAU (Business As Usual) - edited posts won't show up as unread.

Thanks,
Anuj

Previous topicNext topic

Return to “You are a Moderator.”