A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks.

Sanyogita Daas

A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks.

Post by Sanyogita Daas »

Hi,

I found this document very interesting and thought to share it here. It starts like this:

"Future users of large data banks must be protected from having to know how the data is organized in the machine (the internal representation). A prompting service which supplies such information is not a satisfactory solution. Activities of users at terminals and most application programs should remain unaffected when the internal representation of data is changed and even when some aspects of the external representation
are changed. Changes in data representation will often be needed as a result of changes in query, update, and report traffic and natural growth in the types of stored information. Existing noninferential, formatted data systems provide users with tree-structured files or slightly more general network models of the data. In Section 1, inadequacies of these models are discussed. A model based on n-ary relations, a normal form for data base relations, and the concept of a universal data sublanguage are introduced. In Section 2, certain operations on relations (other than logical inference) are discussed and applied to the problems of redundancy and consistency in the user’s model.

1. Relational Model and Normal Form
1 .I. INTRODUCTION: This paper is concerned with the application of elementary relation theory to systems which provide shared access to large banks of formatted data. Except for a paper by Childs [l], the principal application of relations to data systems has been to deductive question-answering systems. Levein and Maron [2] provide numerous references to work in this area. In contrast, the problems treated here are those of data
independence-the independence of application programs and terminal activities from growth in data types and changes in data representation-and certain kinds of data inconsistency which are expected to become troublesome even in nondeductive systems.

"

More is in the attached document:
A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Thanks for uploading the document, appreciate your time! :)
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.