Can we have links open in a new tab?

Have a suggestion? Post your idea to the Ideas Home. You can also post in the Feedback Forum if you have any feedback.
Previous topicNext topic

Topic Author
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Can we have links open in a new tab?

Post by nicc » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:26 pm

without doing a right-click and clicking on 'open in new tab'.

Reason 1: It is annoying to have to click 'back' especially if one has drilled down
Reason 2: I sometimes want to explore the link after finishing in the forum

Regards
Nic

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Can we have links open in a new tab?

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:03 pm

to have the request properly implemented, the option should be part of some preference ( cookie ??? )
I would not be happy with links opened by default in a new tab or worse a new window

cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:13 pm

(+1) + (-1 ) = 0

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:34 pm

what I meant was ...
I do not care :) as long as it is customisable

cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)

Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:46 pm

Just an aside: The behavior which you see on other board is of phpBB2 (Board Software) compared to this one, which is at latest phpBB3.

Compared to phpBB3, links in phpBB2 had a slightly different behavior: When you clicked them, they opened a new window with the requested page. This was changed in phpBB3 for a couple of reasons, but one of the most important ones was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

Topic Author
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:19 am

So it looks as though I am going to have to keep forgetting to right-click links :(

Regards
Nic

Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:54 am

Not really. I'll work it out to behave as COIN (click opens in new-window)! :)

Allow me to have some time.

Thanks,
Anuj

Atul Bhosale

Post by Atul Bhosale » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:56 am

Is there any "idea/poll" where we can vote in for this to have, as this is in Ideas: http://www.zmainframes.com/ideas/index.php?

Angel
Zodiac: Leo

Post by Angel » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:14 pm

Atul Bhosale wrote:Is there any "idea/poll" where we can vote in for this to have, as this is in Ideas: http://www.zmainframes.com/ideas/index.php?
I agree.

Anuj Dhawan
Founder

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:43 pm

I can make a poll on this, though I'm in agreement with the original idea so you know, what the end result going to be! :D

Thanks,
Anuj

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:40 pm

I can make a poll on this, though I'm in agreement with the original idea so you know, what the end result going to be!
why waste resources on a poll if at the end, since You are the forum founder, You can do whatever You like ;)

but remember what makes somebody happy will piss off somebody else.

it will certainly piss me off if the option is NOT customisable...
I usually have a couple of tabs open on each forum, so that when I reply I can lurk around for references
for me having tabs/windows sprouting around will be a nuisance rather than a help
two clicks ( close the tab/window and select the good one from the zillinons of tabs/windows) instead of the click on BACK

personally I am more than satisfied with right clicking
or being a happy APPLE user using the left index finger to hold the CMD key to open something in a new tab
works on safari/firefox/chrome

cheers
enrico

Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Polls and Ideas.”