Can mainframe survive in 2014?

This Forum is for the guests or the users who are not registered on this board. This part allows guests to post in.
SearchingAnswer

Can mainframe survive in 2014?

Post by SearchingAnswer »

Given the situation of such less numbers of openings for senior people in Mainframes in India - what are the chances that we, a bit senior, will survive in outsourcing jobs in mainframes?

Should we think of changing it totally?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Can mainframe survive in 2014?

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Hi,

I'm in India and working with Mainframes - so probably I can connect with you, though, this's a very subjective question. Possibly, a weired answer can be that none of the Mainframe manufacturers has announced that they are shutting down their shops in 2014... and so from this we can say that - Mainframes will survive in 2014.

OTOH and on a serious note, I'd believe that you need to expand your wings, possibly learn a bit about Java and C on mainframes, if not much at least you should be able to guess what the Java/C code is doing . If possible, try to get in to architecture level roles -- this will again call for more learning. I think, in coming time, there will be need of good mainframe programmers in market along with additional knowledge of "open source market or web technologies", that's my thought and one of ways to give enough boost to myself to come to office everyday.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
dick scherrer
Former Team Member

Re: Can mainframe survive in 2014?

Post by dick scherrer »

I cannot say for India, but world wide, the mainframe will be around for quite a while.

As Anuj mentioned, knowing more is surely to your advantage.
Hope this helps,
d