Is someone using z13?

This Forum is for the guests or the users who are not registered on this board. This part allows guests to post in.
z13

Is someone using z13?

Post by z13 »

Hi,

Has someone here started using IBM's z13? Are we able to use it for better cloud and analytics use compared to traditional zOS hardware?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Is someone using z13?

Post by Robert Sample »

I think you're asking a very hard-to-answer question. A former employer had 2 z13 machines when I stopped working for them, but they were using both machines for traditional system z workloads; any cloud of analytics work being done on them was a very small component in a very large system. The z13, being larger and faster than previous hardware generations, will be able to work with cloud and analytics better than the previous hardware generations. However, I suspect few -- if any -- companies are going to spend the money for a z13 merely for its cloud and analytics capabilities. Most companies upgrade machines because they are running out of capacity processing their current workload, or because their previous machine is going out of service -- not for some nebulous concept like "better cloud and analytics". Perhaps you should direct your question to a company doing cloud and analytics?
vasanthz
Registered Member

Post by vasanthz »

Most companies upgrade machines because they are running out of capacity processing their current workload, or because their previous machine is going out of service
We got z13 for both of these reasons and have no cloud running on them. However all other workloads are performing better. Like 30% reduction in CICS transaction response times & job elapsed times.
Regards,
Vasanth.S
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

vasanthz wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:47 amLike 30% reduction in CICS transaction response times & job elapsed times.
That's an interesting number - just hardware changes brings in that change?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

On the same machine, going from z/OS 1.8 to 1.9 increased CPU usage by 10% or so -- sometimes unexpected results occur when changing software OR hardware. IBM tries to lower the processing time with each new generation of machine, so 30% is not impossible. It would depend upon the processing mix, the use of cryptography, and specialty engines in use.
These users thanked the author Robert Sample for the post:
Anuj Dhawan
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Thanks Robert.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.