FTP restrictions on different shops.

This Forum is for the guests or the users who are not registered on this board. This part allows guests to post in.
Previous topicNext topic

Topic Author
FTP

FTP restrictions on different shops.

Post by FTP » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:27 pm

I read some topics here and over the net which suggests that for FTP from mainframe to PC, PC should be configured as FTP server but I have never faced this issue. All the companies I worked allowed issuing FTP commands from the windows command prompt. And I was able to get data in PC. Then why everyone talks about the restriction for PC to be set up as FTP server?

enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FTP restrictions on different shops.

Post by enrico-sorichetti » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 pm

because when You issue the FTP command from Your pc You are the client

cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)

Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Zodiac: Virgo

Post by Robert Sample » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Nobody has ever said, that I have seen, that you cannot initiate an FTP from the PC to the mainframe (even pulling data from the mainframe) -- that works everyday for many people. The issue is when you want to initiate an FTP from the mainframe to the PC. The receiving machine (the PC in this case) MUST be an FTP server for this to work -- and few, if any, desktop PC computers are set up as FTP servers. It requires the PC to execute specialized server software that is not installed on a normal desktop (or laptop) build.

Topic Author
FTP

Post by FTP » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:16 pm

Robert Sample wrote:Nobody has ever said, that I have seen, that you cannot initiate an FTP from the PC to the mainframe (even pulling data from the mainframe) -- that works everyday for many people. The issue is when you want to initiate an FTP from the mainframe to the PC. The receiving machine (the PC in this case) MUST be an FTP server for this to work -- and few, if any, desktop PC computers are set up as FTP servers. It requires the PC to execute specialized server software that is not installed on a normal desktop (or laptop) build.
That's an eye opener and hit it on the head. Thanks. For the answer.

Previous topicNext topic

Return to “You are a Guest.”