Is it safe to be mainframe programmer?

This Forum is for the guests or the users who are not registered on this board. This part allows guests to post in.
MFCarrier

Is it safe to be mainframe programmer?

Post by MFCarrier »

Hi,

I've spent one year in the mainframe technology. I'm from India and from payment wise I see others are also getting nearly similar salaries but I keep on hearing from senior folks or online that there is not much growth in mainframes? Please guide this novice.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Is it safe to be mainframe programmer?

Post by Robert Sample »

This is one of those areas where YOU really have to do your research and decide the answer for yourself. Mainframes are not being taught in schools as much as they once were. Depending upon the source of the research, there are some indications that the mainframe market is shrinking (but others don't agree). Whether or not their use is growing or shrinking, mainframes will continue to be around for a very long time as many large companies use them for applications that are critical to their success and many of these applications will be difficult to replace. Some pundits believe that as the current generation of mainframe programmers retire that salaries for their replacements will go up; on the other hand IBM (among other companies) has been working diligently to provide tools to allow sites to use fewer mainframe programmers.

Do the research and decide for yourself. It is your career and you need to determine how you want to proceed as you will be the one satisfied or not with its progress.
MFCarrier

Post by MFCarrier »

Thanks but I think the question is still not answered or perhaps need a invested time with myself. If you can help me in telling that if mainframe's market is shrinking going to Java, SAP might help? If I go in them one by one and experiment I shall end up spending too much of time and if in last I realize that I enjoyed mainframe more ... hmm I am not sure then what way should I go...if I want to keep myself technically inclined all my carrier.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Mainframes use Java. Mainframes use SAP. Mainframes use COBOL. Mainframes use web services. Mainframes get used with all sorts of applications and environments. IBM has been selling more MIPS almost every year, but the growth in MIPS is likely less than the increase from new hardware, so it is very possible that the actual number of mainframes being sold each year is going down. However, the number of boxes sold is not a very reliable indicator of the market for mainframes (and mainframe programmers). As I said, you need to decide where your interests are and then look to see where it make most sense to work -- if your interest in mostly in .NET or ASP programming then planning on a career in mainframes wouldn't make much sense.
Nitin Kumar
Registered Member

Post by Nitin Kumar »

I think there are still many opprotunities in mainframes. Though as Robert has said the jobs are shrinking but I think this is true for all the technologies..!?