What is Back-end Testing?

Mainframe Application Testing, Offline testing and Tools. Xpediter, IBM Debugger.
cobollearn
Registered Member

What is Back-end Testing?

Post by cobollearn »

Hi,

I was listening to a conference synopsis and they used a term "Back-end Testing?" What is Back-end Testing, can anybody explain what it is?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: What is Back-end Testing?

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

In general - Back end testing in computer programming is testing the system that runs "behind the GUI applications". Back end testing can cover data integrity and validity, and performance as related to data.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
cobollearn
Registered Member

Post by cobollearn »

Ok, Thanks. But how can we relate it to the mainframes?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

If you want to go word by word - CICS can be termed as "GUI" for mainframe users. On the other hand, there are DB2 and IMS stored procedures which work well, usually, with JAVA front end screen - and there the testing of DB2, IMS, IMS-DB2 stored procedures, on mainframes, along with the front end Java screen  can be part of back-end testing.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

I guess it depends on the process: take an ATM withdrawal transaction - front-end testing would be testing the software on the ATM and back-end testing would be the processing of that transaction once it has been passed to the mainframe (or wherever) for amending account balances, writing journals etc.
Regards
Nic
cobollearn
Registered Member

Post by cobollearn »

nicc wrote:I guess it depends on the process: take an ATM withdrawal transaction - front-end testing would be testing the software on the ATM and back-end testing would be the processing of that transaction once it has been passed to the mainframe (or wherever) for amending account balances, writing journals etc.
Thanks nicc and Anuj.
Ankit Kumar Gupta
Registered Member

Post by Ankit Kumar Gupta »

For one of our project, where the two teams one from Java and one from mainframes were involved. Testing for the mainframe was called as back-end testing, in the java team.