Xpeditor Commands

Mainframe Application Testing, Offline testing and Tools. Xpediter, IBM Debugger.
m4mainframe

Xpeditor Commands

Post by m4mainframe »

I am looking for Expeditor Command which will help me to view the value of a variable on the screen. NOTE - I want to view the entire value without scrolling left and right anywhere like we get in "IBM Debugger Tool for z/OS 10.1" In Xpeditor what i observe is as below (We can see 30 character only, I want to see the complete 200 character if 200 is its length) -
----+----1----+----2----+----3
SAME-> P 10 WS-VPIS-TBL > ..............................

In IBM Debugger it comes as complete string or value of each occurance it displayes on its own unless specified.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Xpeditor Commands

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Hi m4mainframe,

Welcome On-Board... :)

At my current shop I'm using IBM Debugger, however, I'm not able to corelate with what you're descrbing for IBM Debugger. If there is some specific command you've used please let me know.

On the other hand, for xpediter, please try to use - SET KEEP nn (where nn can be, for example, 10).

If you are referring to the AUTOKEEP window then the command to increase it to, say 15 lines, would be SET AUTOKEEP 15. This will separate it from the KEEP window.

If these are not what you're looking for, please show some screen shots of what you see and a "dummy screen shot" of what you want - that might help us to get closure to the answer.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
m4mainframe

Post by m4mainframe »

In IBM Debugger, basically we use - MONITOR LIST <Internal-Cobol-Table-Name> to display everything and data of every occurrences. To achieve same thing in XPEDITOR what command shall we be using?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

For COBOL,
KEEP WORKING-STORAGE
KEEP LINKAGE
or (for any language) using line command KK on the first and last lines of the block of variable definitions would do what you want.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

m4mainframe - I think Robert has got what you're looking forward to, yes?
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
m4mainframe

Post by m4mainframe »

No, If you do the MON LI <variable> in IBM Debugger, you can see the entire value in the monitor but when you do the KEEP <variable> in Xpeditor, you see only the 30 characters of the value of the variable in MONITOR as i even mentioned in my previous posts. Also, for me i am more concerned with a variable which is also an internal COBOL table with occurrences. There must be a way to see the complete value like we can see it in IBM Debugger. Is there anybody who understands what problem I am having?

My secondary concerns - Also, Would be interested in commands used for re-sizing the source window and monitor window in XPEDITOR.
Nick Jones
Registered Member

Post by Nick Jones »

m4mainframe wrote:My secondary concerns - Also, Would be interested in commands used for re-sizing the source window and monitor window in XPEDITOR.
Have you tried this, that seems to work for me:
Anuj Dhawan wrote:please try to use - SET KEEP nn (where nn can be, for example, 10).

If you are referring to the AUTOKEEP window then the command to increase it to, say 15 lines, would be SET AUTOKEEP 15. This will separate it from the KEEP window.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

From the Xpediter manual:
The KEEP command lets you continuously view the contents of program variables in a window opened at the top of the source display. You can enter the KEEP primary command with the name of the variable or you can enter the K line command either in the Procedure Division (where the variable is referenced) or in the Data Division (where the variable is defined). If the data exceeds 30 bytes, the field becomes scrollable, and it is indicated by the MORE-> sign in the statement number area.Tables are formatted by each dimension when the KEEP command is entered at the elementary level. If the OCCURS field is not associated with an index or subscript, it can be typed over to browse through the table by each entry. Also, a relative subscript can be appended to increment or decrement the occurrences. If the data displayed is a character data type, a column template is displayed to show the length.
In other words, Xpediter is a different product -- you can see the entire variable, 30 bytes at a time, in the KEEP window. You will not be able to see the entire variable as it changes. IIRC (and I may not be recalling correctly) you can put the cursor on the variable name, hit enter, and see the entire variable -- but this is not a KEEP window, just a variable view.