Creating Test Data and IEBDG.

Mainframe Application Testing, Offline testing and Tools. Xpediter, IBM Debugger.
alpna
Registered Member

Creating Test Data and IEBDG.

Post by alpna »

Hi,

I've coded a new COBOL program (a batch program). And the program creates the output with the help of a copy book. I'm trying to create a Test-Data and searched yielded that IEBDG can be used to create the test data. I looked at the manuals but I'm not sure how can this program can be amended for your specific application! :?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Creating Test Data and IEBDG.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Hi,

Please have a look at IEBDG Examples and that should give you the idea what kind of Test-Data you can generate with it. This is a general utility and I think you've amend the output from the IEDEG to suit your specific application.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
alpna
Registered Member

Post by alpna »

Thanks Anuj. But I've not seen many of the programers using it while it seems to be well documented. In my project people take files from production and use them.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

IEBDG is useful to create patterned data where the process is COMPUTABLE by looking only at a single record.

for example You need to test a bunch of checking functions
-numerics
-alphanumerics
-dates
the IEBDG could be a reasonable tool

when relations between different records and files are involved You must extract from somewhere consisting data.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Many applications these days require data in multiple files to be consistent, and data across multiple record types in the same file to be consistent. IEBDG is good at generating test data of a sort, but it doesn't really let you capture the complexities of inter-record and inter-file dependencies, which is why you rarely see it used these days.
alpna
Registered Member

Post by alpna »

Thank you Robert and enrico. This is useful information.