s/360 - a picture.

A Forum on the Mainframe Books and the history of mainframes.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

s/360 - a picture.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

IBM S/360 mainframe (all of 8 MB RAM at 1 MHz)
IBM s360.png
Is not it an amazing picture?! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: s/360 - a picture.

Post by Robert Sample »

8 MB? More likely 8 KB of RAM. When I was in college, the S360 we used had 64 KB of RAM. When I started my first full-time IT job in 1977, the S370 we used only had 3 MB of RAM.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
mainframe360

Post by mainframe360 »

The picture shows an early System/360 Model 30 which could have up to 64KB of main (core) storage, and could not attach any LCS. Note that the "Logo Bar" on top of the console is black at the left end (where it says 'IBM') and is white for the rest of the bar (where you can barely make out the words 'SYSTEM 360'). This is how the System/360 prototypes looked - but most, if not all, System/360s shipped with an all black Logo Bar and the word 'SYSTEM" was changed to 'System'.

In 1967-1972 the IBM Boston Programming Center had a System/360 Model 50 with 256KB of main storage and 8MB of LCS. It was used to develop time sharing systems (CPS and CS/I) that dedicated real memory to each terminal user, before the availability of virtual memory. In those days very few computers were installed with more than 1MB of memory.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

mainframe360 wrote:In those days very few computers were installed with more than 1MB of memory.
This reminds me about another picture here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=845 :)
Thanks,
Anuj