COBOL Tips.

A Mainframe-Tip a Day keeps the bugs away!
Forum rules
All of these Tips/Tuning-suggestions should be tested your own, at your shop, prior to use in Prod.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

COBOL Tips.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

1. Do you know how COBOL Compiler finds a data-set as VSAM data-set? When the ORGANIZATION clause is coded for a file, the COBOL compiler interprets it as a VSAM data-set. Hence, the ORGANIZATION clause should not be coded with a non-VSAM data-set.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: COBOL Tips.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

2. Using an odd number of digits for PACKED DECIMAL (COMP-3) is 5% to 20% faster than using an even number of digits... why? It's a "Tip of the Day" section and not the "Explanation of the Day" section. So I leave that for the reader to explore... :)
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

3. MERGE statement can have OUTPUT PROCEDURE but not INPUT PROCEDURE.
Thanks,
Anuj

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

4. For a table with less than 50 entries use SEARCH ( Sequential Search) and for greater than 50 entries, use SEARCH ALL ( Binary Search). (though opinions vary, however, it's usually advisable).
Thanks,
Anuj

Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Regarding tip 1: COBOL recognizes a VSAM ESDS file by the presence of AS-ddname in the SELECT statement.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

5. Carefully use the verb INITALIZE. It generates a move for every non-filler elementary data item, especially on very long records or large files. If you need to use INITALIZE do it once in "housekeeping" and save in "working-storage". Then move the group from working storage wherever you would code the INITALIZE.
Thanks,
Anuj

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

6. Always remove test compile options such as “Displays”, before implementing into production.
Thanks,
Anuj

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

7. In continuation with what Robert has said that if you are accessing ESDS VSAM file, then in COBOL SELECT clause has AS-DDNAME. If you are not doing that then an S213 ABEND might occur when attempting to open data set.
Thanks,
Anuj

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

8. Have you ever thought why it's READ FILE in COBOL and not READ RECORD as it's in WRITE RECORD? :)

The answer is: You READ FILE because, there is no way out to know in advance:
  1. If there is actually a record to read or not
  2. For variable or undefined length files, one does not know how long the next record will be if there is one.
And You WRITE RECORD because without knowing above two answers one can not write in and while WRITing program already know them.
Thanks,
Anuj

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

9. For Enterprise Cobol V 4.1 (onwards) for zOS, if you compile the program using the compiler option "XREF ON", one can see from where the Copybook came that was used while compiling the Program.

In the listing find for "COPY/BASIS" (when XREF ON is used) - This section lists the copybooks and their location.

Thanks,
Anuj

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

10. It's advisable that, if possible avoid doing a sort within a COBOL program. COBOL sorts are very inefficient. If you must do a sort in a COBOL program, specifying the FASTSRT compiler option may be handy for tuning. On the other hand, if you are using INPUT/OUTPUT procedure then FASTSRT compiler option will not increase the performance. It is better to use the (DF)SORT control statements like INREC, OUTREC, SUM, SKIPREC, INCLUDE or OMIT ,STOPAFT etc and put them under the ddname SORTCNTL or IGZSRTCD.
Thanks,
Anuj

zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer »

11.When ever we do processing reading a file better to have an approach like this

Templace

Code: Select all

Open file
         Read file
         process until EOF
                     "MAIN PROCESSING"
                      Read file
         Close file   
zprogrammer
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zprogrammer »

12.A simple and effective way to debug your program When you have no DEBUGGING TOOL in place is

You could add display after start of every section and start of every para

On execution you could see the program flow and understand the problem much faster
zprogrammer
Quasar Chunawala
Registered Member

Post by Quasar Chunawala »

13. As a follow-on tip to the above, I worked at a shop, where all COBOL batch modules had this standard -

5500-GET-TRADES.
    MOVE '5500-GET-TRADES' TO WS-PARA-NAME
    PERFORM 9000-DEBUG THRU 9000-EXIT
    para-body
5500-EXIT. EXIT.

9000-DEBUG.
    IF LS-DEBUG-SW = 'Y'
        DISPLAY WS-PARA-NAME
    END-IF.
9000-EXIT. EXIT.
You can code the JCL as,

//* By Default
//STEP010 EXEC PGM=MYPROG01,PARM='N'           
//* Turn on debug mode
//STEP020 EXEC PGM=MYPROG01,PARM='Y'           
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

14. This is not really a "tip" but interesting to know:

In SELECT INFILE ASSIGN TO UT-S-INFILE or SELECT INFILE ASSIGN TO DA-S-INFILE - what does UT-S- and DA-S- stands for?

The syntax for SELECT clause in COBOL is SELECT file-name ASSIGN TO DD-name.

Keeping above in mind, for the second line above, the first Part in DDNAME is "Device Class" - UT stands for utility (Tape or sequential disk) and DA stands for direct access (Disk). Second Part in DDNAMAE: is "Method of Organization" - S – Sequential (Printer, Terminal, Disk or Tape).
Thanks,
Anuj

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

15. ALL31: ALL31 specifies whether an application can run entirely in AMODE 31 or whether the application has one or more AMODE 24 routines.

The ALL31 option allows LE to take advantage of knowing that there are no AMODE(24) routines in the application. It specifies that the entire application will run in AMODE(31). This can help to improve the performance
for an all AMODE(31) application because Linkage Editor can minimize the amount of mode switching across calls to common run time library routines.

This option does not implicitly alter storage, in particular storage managed by the STACK and HEAP run-time options. However, you must be aware of your application's requirements for stack and heap storage,
because such storage can potentially be allocated above the line while running in AMODE 24
Thanks,
Anuj