Hi.

Meet and greet the other members here and introduce yourself to the world, the way you want -- pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable!
ShilpiSRE
Registered Member

Hi.

Post by ShilpiSRE »

Hi,

I am Software Engineer and working in mainframe technology. I had a great dream to make in the IT industry but the pace of life in IT is very slow. God knows when things work out.

I am working with COBOL, JCL, VSAM and some of the DB2.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Hi.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Hello and welcome to the Forums Shilpi,

Pace depends on you, I'd believe, salary might not! :D What do you call as 'pace'?

In today's world information is overflowing, how can pace be slow - Start learning, even if you don't get paid for it, sky is the limit...
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
ShilpiSRE
Registered Member

Post by ShilpiSRE »

People in India in Information Technology are not well paid. For the same work which we do here, people in aborad are paid much better. That is what I mean by pace.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

Pace V Rate

Do you mean "rate of Pay"? If so, the word 'Pace' is wrong as it relates to speed or stride (i.e. putting one foot in front of the other). Rate can be used instead of pace but not the other way round.
Regards
Nic
ShilpiSRE
Registered Member

Post by ShilpiSRE »

I used because I wanted to say that when we get experienced here in India the rate of payment is not that good compared to other developed countries. So the pace to get good salary is slow. I may be wrong in using the word though but this is what I wanted to say.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

Well, that depends on such factors as the definition of "developed". In Europe and north America the pay is higher but so is the cost of living. I went for a curry with a friend the other month - over £42 for the two of us. Now, how does that compare with what you pay?
Regards
Nic
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

That's pretty high for two, in general. In Mumbai, it's comparatively less than that amount, in a fine dine, however with BRexit the conversion from £ to ₹ is as low as 88.7 compared to usual 100 - so that helps to bring the gap closer. 

Which fine dine do you choose, depending on that, one can get more expensive curries than that!
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

I spent 40 pounds on an Italian dinner in Nottingham once -- beer (one), entree, dessert if I recall.  I just looked -- the closest curry house to me now is about 80 minutes south.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

That was a bog-standard restaurant - not one of the up-market ones. Starters, mains, 2 beers - each.
Regards
Nic
ShilpiSRE
Registered Member

Post by ShilpiSRE »

Where is the discussion going...
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Men will be men - Starting from IT, wages to Beer- I think we are behaving sane![sup]*[/sup] :rofl:

[sup]*- Speaking for myself. :)[/sup]
Thanks,
Anuj

ShilpiSRE
Registered Member

Post by ShilpiSRE »

ha ha ha...

so basically nicc means that all the places are paying in equal ratio. If the wages are high the expenses are also high?
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

Quite likely - but it is a generalisation, albeit one close to reality.
Regards
Nic
richiewalia
Registered Member

Post by richiewalia »

I am not agreeing that ratio is equal to all countries. In India , If you stay in same company like IBM or CSC , then you will remain poor fellow . I am not sure of other companies but still I am sure of my company IBM what it pays to their employees.  

Same is not the case with US canada or Australia. Atleast you can enough money to meet ur normal expenses and can think of big in coming years if save money.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

You will remain poor in IBM in ANY country. Teir aim (when I started) was to be amongst the best but not necessarily the best (i.e. highest) payers. When I bought my house the only furniture I had was an empty tea chest. All my cars were second, or more, hand, my holidays were packages. I don't know what their philosophy is now because things went pear-shaped in the early 80's (just after I left them in fact but I don't know if the two are connected!).

By the way, to any IBMers on the forum - you should not be asking questions on a public forum. After all, you have the global resources of IBM to call on including a direct link to the DFSort developers.
Regards
Nic