Hello All!

Meet and greet the other members here and introduce yourself to the world, the way you want -- pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable!
Pradeep Kumar
Registered Member

Hello All!

Post by Pradeep Kumar »

Hi,

I am working in a mainframe company on Support mostly. But get to work in development too. I work with COBOL, JCL and VSAM.

Can I move to a pure development project? What should I learn more for this?

Thanks,
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Hello All!

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Hello Pradeep and Welcome to the Forums,

Moving to a development project should not be a big challenge. But this question can be best answered by someone at your shop. If I were you, I'd ask to my superior and the superior from Development team. Tell them my aspirations. Before doing that, you can do a small homework also by writing some brand new program, similar to an existing COBOL program (assuming COBOL is one of the languages used in development) - this might help to showcase your readiness and understanding of the development process.

Good Luck! :good:
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Pradeep Kumar
Registered Member

Post by Pradeep Kumar »

Anuj Dhawan wrote:Hello Pradeep and Welcome to the Forums,

Moving to a development project should not be a big challenge. But this question can be best answered by someone at your shop. If I were you, I'd ask to my superior and the superior from Development team. Tell them my aspirations. Before doing that, you can do a small homework also by writing some brand new program, similar to an existing COBOL program (assuming COBOL is one of the languages used in development) - this might help to showcase your readiness and understanding of the development process.

Good Luck! :good:
Thanks for a thoughtful suggestion. We are not allowed to write the program then how can I write a new program?
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

Do you have a PC at home? If so you can get free rexx interpreters, free cobol compilers/interpreters, free python, ruby, perl etc etc etc to practice programming.
Regards
Nic
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Pradeep Kumar wrote:Thanks for a thoughtful suggestion. We are not allowed to write the program then how can I write a new program?
I want to learn driving but I'm a cook - how can I do that? 

Either find ways to do it or find excuses not to do it!

You've ISPF editor with you, start from there. Write program in it when you get time, ask a co-worker to compile it for you. I'm very much sure with continuous persuasion you'll get it going. If that's not what works for you, download GNUCobol (like nicc indicated) and start from there. Write program and talk to your manager about your capabilities. 

Try!
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.