IBM Explorer for z/OS (z/OS Explorer)

Linux on System z, Linux on zSeries, Linux/390, zLinux, z/Linux, z/VM & UNIX Shell services. IBM OS/360, OS/370, MVS, OS/390, TPF, VM/CMS, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, z/VSE, z/OS.
Previous topicNext topic

Topic Author
John Knutson

IBM Explorer for z/OS (z/OS Explorer)

Post by John Knutson » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:53 am

Reading some of the posts in this and other forums, I get the impression that for people coming new to the mainframe - especially from a distributed world - green screen interfaces to z/OS represent something of an obstacle - not insurmountable, but at best a hindrance. The worst aspect is that it can become an immediate turn-off, cutting off a vital supply of new talent and preventing them having an enjoyable career working with a fantastically powerful platform.

That's one of the reasons why we developed IBM Explorer for z/OS, commonly known as the z/OS Explorer, and made it freely available (and available for free) for anyone working with a supported z/OS license. Download z/OS Explorer (http://www-01.ibm.com/software/htp/cics ... loads.html) and you'll get an Eclipse Juno shell preloaded with views of zFS, z/OS datasets, and JES jobs and output. You'll be able to create, edit, view files and datasets, tinker with PDSs and zFS paths and files, and submit JCL and view JES output, all from an intuitive GUI. All you need is a FTP connection to your LPAR, easy to set up and secure with Comm Server. If you run z/OSMF on z/OS 1.13 and above, you can also connect z/OS Explorer to its RESTful interface for faster output retrieval, to view output for active jobs, and to cancel jobs.

You can also add the z/OS Explorer plug-in to other compatible Eclipse shells, or use its shell to host a wide range of IBM product plug-ins. It's available in IBM Installation Manager and Eclipse P2 formats, whichever is right for you. There's even a sample Telnet plug-in, showing how you can extend z/OS Explorer with your own plug-ins.

After you have downloaded and tried z/OS Explorer, please let us all know how you get on by replying to this post.

To forum admins: I wasn't sure where best to place this. If you think it's better elsewhere, feel free to move it.

John Knutson - CICS Market Enablement
CICS social media aggregator: http://www-304.ibm.com/social/aggregator/cics

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Re: IBM Explorer for z/OS (z/OS Explorer)

Post by Anuj Dhawan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:01 am

Thanks for sharing this, I was answering at another Forum and this post did help.

Appreciate your time,

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

Previous topicNext topic

Return to “zLinux, USS and other Operating Systems for Mainframes.”