Cloud computing and mainframe.

Statistical Analysis System and Cloud Computing.
Sahin Khan

Cloud computing and mainframe.

Post by Sahin Khan »

Hi,

Is not a cloud environment and mainframe multi-user environment jus same? Is not like calling the "similar computing methods" with similar names? If it is not, what are the possible differences between a cloud computing environment and a mainframe multi-user interactive operating system environment? :shock:
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Cloud computing and mainframe.

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

You should be more friend of google
googling with CLOUD COMPUTING DEFINITON returned
http://faculty.winthrop.edu/domanm/csci ... s/NIST.pdf
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Cloud computing and mainframes are not the same. When I was working for IBM last year, I had to go through 10 hours of cloud training even though I was using mainframes every day.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Cloud computing is a type of computing that relies on sharing computing resources rather than having local servers or personal devices to handle applications. In cloud computing, the word cloud (also phrased as "the cloud") is used as a metaphor for "the Internet," so the phrase cloud computing means "a type of Internet-based computing," where different services - such as servers, storage and applications - are delivered to an organization's computers and devices through the Internet.

A little more on similar lines can be found here: What is Cloud Computing?

In fact and for that matter IBM has a series of products in the Cloud Computing Space - if mainframes and Cloud Computing were same IBM would have invested in separate line of products! Personally, I feel IBM's Bluemix is getting rave reviews in the market. Bluemix is the latest cloud offering from IBM. It enables organizations and developers to quickly and easily create, deploy, and manage applications on the cloud. Bluemix is an implementation of IBM's Open Cloud Architecture based on Cloud Foundry, an open source Platform as a Service (PaaS). Bluemix delivers enterprise-level services that can easily integrate with your cloud applications without you needing to know how to install or configure them. You can read about that more here: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/cloud ... ixfoundry/

<PAUSE>

After a thought I think I understand why this question might arise. The Cloud is confusing, well it can be. According to an article published some time in year 2010, which marked the escalation of the war of words between the respective CEOs of Oracle and Salesforce.com - Larry Ellison and Marc Benioff. In the words of these figures, we can actually see an outline of many of the different definitions of cloud computing. Is Cloud Computing fundamentally different from what came before? What does it mean for an organization to “do” Cloud Computing? Oracle’s Ellison has a history of discounting Cloud Computing as no more than a new name for what has gone before. In a 2009 interview,which was a hit in this line of business, he said:

“All the Cloud is, is computers in a network… Our industry is so bizarre. I mean, they just change a term and they think they’ve invented technology."

Fast forward to 2016, we do see that is an entire market opening up for Cloud Computing and that way beyond the concept of how mainframes work!
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.