What is meant by vanilla mainframes?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Ajit Shah
Registered Member

What is meant by vanilla mainframes?

Post by Ajit Shah »

Hi,

What is "vanilla mainframes"? If anybody knows it please let me know about this? I've heard/read about this term in some of the job-interviews ads.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What is meant by vanilla mainframes?

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

a vanilla something is something as it comes out of the box ...
no customisations, no add ons
usually it is not related to a mainframe as hardware, but rather to the operating system environment
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Ajit Shah
Registered Member

Post by Ajit Shah »

So in terms of mainframes what should I consider as the technologies if someone talks about "vanilla mainframes"?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

As Enrico has indicated -- usually, vanilla means plain or non-specific. On the other hadn, after spending enough time in Indian IT Business, I can fairly assume that this means the knowledge of COBOL, DB2 and JCL. Sometime they assume to include VSAM and CICS knowledge too in this. I've seen "HR" personals to use this term rather than a technical person.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.