SAR and SDSF.

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Mayur Rane

SAR and SDSF.

Post by Mayur Rane »

Hi,

Are SAR and SDSF same or they are different? Are not they just do the same things? I'm sorry I might sound noob but that's what I'm.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: SAR and SDSF.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Hi Mayur,

I don't have a comprehensive list of differences with me however, SAR is an add-on product, for IBM mainframes, to start with. It is now known as CA-View. As you might know ,it's a SYSOUT Archival and Retrieval system, is a facility for storing and retrieving computer output. According to CA' website -- Customers should consider CA-View as an alternative to both listings and microfiche. Although any output can be specified for archival, CA-View is especially well-suited to the management of production JCL listings and production reports. All output archived to CA-View during a given day constitutes one generation of CA-View data. Currently, four generations (i.e., four days) of CA-View data are maintained on disk. During the daily CA-View backup cycle, which runs at midnight, the oldest disk generation is archived to tape (where it remains for approximately one year before being deleted) and a new disk generation is created.

SDSF, on the other hand, is System Display and Search Facility. It used to be known as Spool Display and Search Facility but not any longer now. It's a feature of IBM mainframes running z/OS (in other words, it's not add-on or pay-for-product). This allows users and administrators to be able to view and control various aspects of the mainframe's operation and system resources. Batch job output, status of running Unix processes, system information, workload scheduling,External device monitoring such as printers,initiators.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Mayur Rane

Re: SAR and SDSF.

Post by Mayur Rane »

Thanks Anuj. Appreciate your reply.