Green zebra paper

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
prino
Registered Member

Green zebra paper

Post by prino »

I've been trying to find some on-line in the form of images or HTML/CSS files, but to no avail. :(

So I scanned some old slips that I had lying around, and used Gimp to create something using the scanned image as template. The attached PNG file shows the results. It's made up of two 300x300 images, in two slightly different gradients of green, and I'd like to hear which you consider the one that most resembles the original paper, or even if you have an even better suggestion - my personal preference is the left side, although it seems to be somewhat greener than the real stuff.

And for what it's worth, you can use the image for any purpose, I hereby place it in the public domain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert AH Prins
robertahprins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some z/OS code here
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Green zebra paper

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Did you scan it twice as it gets two different color? And you need it only green?

And you seem to reply your own question here, no - see the bold text:
in two slightly different gradients of green, and I'd like to hear which you consider the one that most resembles the original paper, or even if you have an even better suggestion - my personal preference is the left side, although it seems to be somewhat greener than the real stuff.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
prino
Registered Member

Post by prino »

Anuj Dhawan wrote:Did you scan it twice as it gets two different color? And you need it only green?
No, I scanned it once @ 600dpi. (1200 and 2400 dpi scans were way too fuzzy) From the scanned image I just counted pixels for all bars and space between them, and then I created a new blank 600x600 pixel image and painted the whole lot, picking the most common colour for the inside and outside of the bars (the outside is fractionally lighter). Then, looking at screen and other paper I found that there was a difference, so I added another 600x600 blank, copied the first image into that, and fiddled a bit with the colours until they "matched" the other paper.
Anuj Dhawan wrote:And you seem to reply your own question here, no - see the bold text:
in two slightly different gradients of green, and I'd like to hear which you consider the one that most resembles the original paper, or even if you have an even better suggestion - my personal preference is the left side, although it seems to be somewhat greener than the real stuff.
Some people, look at Wikipedia at flags, don't settle for less than perfect, so that's why I included the two shades. Someone with access to brand-new paper and the tools to determine the exact colour may indicate that my two samples are still incorrect.
Robert AH Prins
Some z/OS code here
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Some people, look at Wikipedia at flags, don't settle for less than perfect, so that's why I included the two shades.
Right that's correct -- graphics is a big industry, it sells well -- so the need for perfection.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
prino
Registered Member

Post by prino »

My sample is actually not perfect, when put next to a scan of the real thing every zebra is fractionally too big, which means that I will need to build another version from a 1200 dpi scan.

Not a happy bunny :(
Robert AH Prins
Some z/OS code here
RaOne
Registered Member

Post by RaOne »

Pardon but what's your purpose prino? I fail to undrstand that. Even if you get perfectly what ou are looking for, what will you do next with that?
prino
Registered Member

Post by prino »

RaOne wrote:Pardon but what's your purpose prino? I fail to undrstand that. Even if you get perfectly what ou are looking for, what will you do next with that?
Use it as nostalgic background for your mainframe related website.
Robert AH Prins
Some z/OS code here