Execute every step even if there is an abend?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Dino
Registered Member

Execute every step even if there is an abend?

Post by Dino »

I need to run a job which creates catalog entries to file, gdg, generation files. All the steps to execute even if error or abend, any return code.

What Cond parameter I need to use and where I have to use.?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Execute every step even if there is an abend?

Post by Robert Sample »

Why do you need more than one step? And what abends are you anticipating that you "have" to handle? If an operator cancels your job, you'll get an S222 (most likely) abend that prevents any further execution -- no matter what you have coded in your JCL. So from that sense, you CANNOT have your code execute every step even with abends since some abends stop processing of the job immediately. And what have you tried so far and how do the results you're getting not meet your needs?

A terminology note: z/OS has files on tape and in Unix System Services. Everything else is a data set.
Dino
Registered Member

Post by Dino »

I have used COND=EVEN on JOb card but it did not work.
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami »

Unsurprising, as the fine manual indicates that EVEN and ONLY are not available to the COND parameter on the JOB statement, but only on the EXEC statement.
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

You have failed to answer Robert's query as to why you need separate steps. You have not even specified how you are doing this task. If you are doing it using IDCAMS then you only need one step. As the last IDCAMS command you can code SET MAXCC=0 - or whateveer the syntax is. That will return a zero return code to your job.
Regards
Nic