Can we change the "Character Set" during the FTP?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Mr Awasthi
Registered Member

Can we change the "Character Set" during the FTP?

Post by Mr Awasthi »

Hi,

Can we change the "Character Set" during the FTP process itself? My this question is related to the question I have asked viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3290

We are supposed to send files generated in one region to other region and these region are different geographical locations. So for example, we have a dataset with some information generated in US in English but now this needs to be sent across to Germany in German language. There is another file which needs to be sent across to say, France. As of now there are different "character conversion" program for different regions. These programs read the data from the dataset, byte by byte, hits a DB2 table for the conversion, do the conversion and write the output file. Please let me know if this kind of conversion can be done using the FTP itself?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Can we change the "Character Set" during the FTP?

Post by Robert Sample »

Find the IP Configuration manual in the Communications Server bookshelf for your version of z/OS and read up on the FTP option SBDATACONN.
So for example, we have a dataset with some information generated in US in English but now this needs to be sent across to Germany in German language.
German language or German character set? There is a HUGE difference in the two. Writing a data set in English and having it transmitted in German requires machine translation, which is not an easy thing to do. Writing a data set with English characters and sending it using German characters is accomplished with SBDATACONN.
Mr Awasthi
Registered Member

Re: Can we change the "Character Set" during the FTP?

Post by Mr Awasthi »

I meant character set. I'll read around SBDATACONN, thanks for the help.