Fetch XML data and place in excel.

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Vibha
Registered Member

Fetch XML data and place in excel.

Post by Vibha »

Hi all,

I need to automate one test scenario. As a first step, I need to fetch data from a datset which is an XML and place in an excel sheet. Please advise if some one has done some thing similar or have an idea.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Fetch XML data and place in excel.

Post by Robert Sample »

First, this is not a mainframe issue so why are you asking on a mainframe forum?

Second, you did not specify where you are "fetch"ing the data from. Even if the data is coming from a mainframe, that does NOT make this a mainframe issue. If the data is on a mainframe, FTP is the usual way to pull data from a mainframe to a PC.

Third, Google is your friend so have you Googled excel xml to see what is on the Internet? I did and got back about 21,200,000 results so there is LOTS of material you need to start reading.
Vibha
Registered Member

Post by Vibha »

The file with XML data is a dataset on mainframes. That's why I thought it's a mainframe issue.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

Your first step is to get the data from the mainframe to the server. As Robert has stated you do this with FTP. Your shop is probably doing this sort of thing already so you need to go to someone who has experience of this in your organisation because they will be able to help you with the control statements applicable to you place of work.

Your project leader should have advised you of this in the first place in the design document.
Regards
Nic